Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Meals for Millions Foundation Records, 1946-1967
1107  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (130.89 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The Meals for Millions Foundation of Los Angeles was a non-profit organization dedicated to the eradication of hunger in the world through “three-cent meals.” The plan was formulated by Clifford Clinton (of Clinton Cafeterias of Los Angeles), who, with the assistance of Dr. Henry Borsook of the California Institute of Technology, organized the Foundation in 1946. After the Foundation began to change course in 1965, executive secretary Florence Rose resigned, and became associated with Investors Overseas Services until her death in 1969. In 1979, the Foundation merged with the American Freedom from Hunger Foundation. The collection consists of correspondence, financial records, publications, notebooks, newspapers, photographs, two phonograph records, and a film from the office and personal files of Meals for Millions executive secretary, Florence Rose.
Background
The Meals for Millions Foundation of Los Angeles was a non-profit organization dedicated to the eradication of hunger in the world through “three-cent meals”; the plan was formulated by Clifford Clinton (of Clinton Cafeterias of Los Angeles), who, with the assistance of Dr. Henry Borsook of the California Institute of Technology, organized the Foundation in 1946; its basic product was Multi-Purpose Food (MPF), a tasteless additive that could be mixed with virtually anything to provide one-third of the daily vitamins, minerals, and protein needed by the average adult; after the Foundation began to change course in 1965, executive secretary Florence Rose resigned, and became associated with Investors Overseas Services until her death in 1969; in 1979 the Foundation merged with the American Freedom from Hunger Foundation.The Meals for Millions Foundation of Los Angeles was a non-profit organization dedicated to the eradication of hunger in the world through “three-cent meals.” The plan for such a program was formulated by Clifford Clinton (of Clifton cafeterias in Los Angeles), who, with the assistance of Dr. Henry Borsook of Caltech organized the foundation in 1946. The basic product of the foundation, known as Multi-purpose Food, was a tasteless additive that could be mixed with virtually anything. Developed by Dr. Borsook, MPF was said to provide one-third of the daily vitamins, minerals, and protein needed by the average adult.
Extent
48 boxes (24 linear ft.) 1 oversize box
Availability
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Advance notice required for access.