Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Stanford University, School of Engineering, Dean's Office, Records
SC0165  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (167.93 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview
  • Administrative Information
  • Biographical/Historical Sketch
  • Description of the Collection
  • Access Terms

  • Overview

    Call Number: SC0165
    Creator: Stanford University. School of Engineering. Dean's Office.
    Title: Stanford University, School of Engineering, Dean's Office, records
    Dates: 1915-1969
    Bulk Dates: 1925-1955
    Physical Description: 20 Linear feet (20 boxes)
    Summary: The collection consists of general office files from the School of Engineering Dean's Office. The bulk of the papers cover the years 1925-1955. Included are subject files regarding school and departmental affairs as well as interests of the individual deans; files regarding teaching appointments of non-tenured assistants, lecturers, instructors, assistant professors and visiting faculty; annual budget files (1925-1960) and annual reports to the President (1945-1964) regarding school and departmental activites, goals, faculty achievement and funding. The collection also includes some photographs and blueprints.
    Language(s): In English.
    Repository: Dept. of Special Collections and University Archives
    Stanford University Libraries
    557 Escondido Mall
    Stanford, CA 94305-6064
    Email: speccollref@stanford.edu
    Phone: (650) 725-1022
    URL: http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/spc/spc.html

    Administrative Information

    Provenance

    The records were received via administrative transfers from the School of Engineering in 1977, 1990, and 1994.

    Information about Access

    This collection is open for research; materials must be requested at least 48 hours in advance of intended use.

    Ownership & Copyright

    All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.
    Restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.

    Cite As

    [Identification of item], Stanford University, School of Engineering, Dean's Office, Records (SC0165). Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.

    Associated Materials

    Related materials in the Stanford University Archives include the Frederick E. Terman Papers, the Samuel B. Morris Papers, and the Mechanical Engineering Department Records.

    Biographical/Historical Sketch

    Civil and mechanical engineering courses were among the first taught at Stanford University, with courses in electrical and mining engineering added in 1893. In 1925, the formerly independent engineering departments were organized into the School of Engineering with Theodore Jesse Hoover as Dean. Hoover was succeeded in 1936 by Samuel B. Morris, former director of the Pasadena municipal water system and a respected civil engineer. The School experienced its greatest development during the deanship of Frederick E. Terman, 1945-1960, formerly the executive head of the Electrical Engineering Department. Important connections were made between the school and local industry, and the School began to draw significant government contracts and grants to support graduate and faculty research. Although Terman was appointed University Provost in 1955, he remained dean until Joseph M. Pettit, Professor of Electrical Engineering, succeeded him. Pettit resigned in 1971 to become president of Georgia Institute of Technology and was succeeded by William Kays, chairman of the Mechanical Engineering department. The School now includes nine departments, with numerous laboratories and research centers.

    Description of the Collection

    The collection consists of general office files from the School of Engineering Dean's Office. The bulk of the papers cover the years 1925-1955. Included are subject files regarding school and departmental affairs as well as interests of the individual deans; files regarding teaching appointments of non-tenured assistants, lecturers, instructors, assistant professors and visiting faculty; annual budget files (1925-1960) and annual reports to the President (1945-1964) regarding school and departmental activites, goals, faculty achievement and funding. The collection also includes some photographs and blueprints.

    Access Terms

    Crothers, George E.
    Hoover, Herbert, 1874-1964.
    Hoover, Theodore Jesse.
    Hotchkiss, Willard.
    Kays, William.
    Marx, Charles.
    Marx, Guido H., 1871-1949.
    Morris, Samuel Brooks.
    Pettit, Joseph M.
    Rice, Archie.
    Skilling, Hugh Hildreth, 1905-
    Stanford University--Buildings.
    Stanford University. Dept. of Civil Engineering.
    Stanford University. Dept. of Electrical Engineering
    Stanford University. Dept. of Mechanical Engineering.
    Stanford University. Dept. of Mining and Metallurgy.
    Stanford University. Reserve Officers Training Corps.
    Stanford University. Ryan High Voltage Laboratory.
    Stanford University. School of Engineering. Dean's Office.
    Terman, Frederick Emmons, 1900-1982
    Tresidder, Donald Bertrand, 1894-1948
    Webster, David Locke.
    Wilbur, Ray L., (Ray Lyman), 1875-1949
    Willis, Bailey, 1857-1949
    Annual reports.
    Blueprints.
    Engineering.
    Klystrons.
    Photoprints
    Student political activity.
    World War, 1939-1945