Scope and Contents
Title: Old Fashioned Revival Hour Collection
Collection number: ARS.0026
Fuller, Charles Edward, 1887-1968
: 127 sound discs (123 CD-Rs; 4 CD-audio); 2 audiocassettes
Archive of Recorded Sound
Evangelical sermons, prayers, and hymnal recordings on Compact Disc, originally broadcast from 1937 to 1968 on the radio program
Old Fashioned Revival Hour.
Language of Material: English
Open for research; material must be requested at least two business days in advance of intended use. Contact the Archive for
Property rights reside with repository. Publication and reproduction rights reside with the creators or their heirs. To obtain
permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Head Librarian of the Archive of Recorded Sound.
Old Fashioned Revival Hour Collection, ARS-0026. Courtesy of the Stanford Archive of Recorded Sound, Stanford University Libraries,
Charles Fuller (1887-1968) was a Baptist minister and radio evangelist. He gained renown as the radio host and speaker of
The Old Fashioned Revival Hour, a weekly Sunday broadcast that aired from 1937 to 1968. The first nationwide broadcast occurred
on October 3, 1937, on the Mutual Broadcasting System. Beginning in 1951, the program was carried on the ABC Radio Network,
heard on more than 650 radio stations. The Old Fashioned Revival Hour broadcast was originally recorded in a Hollywood studio.
In 1941, it was moved to the old Municipal Auditorium in Long Beach, California. From 1941 through 1958, audiences attended
services that were broadcast live on the radio from the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium. After January 12, 1958, the program
was again produced in a studio, until it ended in 1968. The broadcasts were also noted for the music, featuring the Old Fashioned
Revival Hour Choir and quartet, accompanied by organist George Broadbent and pianist Rudy Atwood. Several popular recordings
were made by the choir in the 1940s and 1950s. Re-broadcasts of the Old Fashioned Revival Hour are now streamed weekly on
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of Compact Disc copies of radio broadcasts of the Old Fashioned Revival Hour, a program of hymns,
prayers, and sermons led by Charles E. Fuller and his wife, plus CDs and cassettes of music. The programs were originally
broadcast from approximately 1937 until 1968 and have been re-broadcast on several radio stations since 2002. The collection
includes original programs from the 1950s and rebroadcasts from 2002 to the present. More programs will be added as they become
available. The music CDs and cassettes were were produced on the campus of Fuller Theological Seminary and were published
between 1999 and 2004.
The radio program originally broadcast from 1937 to 1968. Known original broadcast dates of items in this collection are from
Dec. 19, 1954 to Jul. 10, 1955. Rebroadcast from Oct. 7, 2007 to the present.
Evangelistic sermons--United States