Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Student Materials Relating to University High School, ca. 1923-1987
CU-407  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (107.83 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Collection Summary
  • Information for Researchers
  • Brief History
  • Scope and Content

  • Collection Summary

    Collection Title: Student materials relating to University High School,
    Date (inclusive): ca. 1923-1987
    Collection Number: CU-407
    Extent: 4 boxes, 17 vols., 1 package (7 linear ft.)
    Repository: The Bancroft Library. University Archives.
    Berkeley, California 94720-6000
    Physical Location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
    Abstract: Includes student body council minutes, student publications, student scrapbooks, memorabilia, and reunion materials.
    Languages Represented: English

    Information for Researchers

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Student materials relating to University High School, CU-407, University Archives, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

    Brief History

    University High School was a six year secondary school located in Oakland from 1914 to 1946. The school was comprised of a Junior High of seventh, eighth and ninth grades, and a Senior High of tenth, eleventh and twelfth grades. The Board of Education of the City of Oakland and the Education Department of the University of California maintained and operated the school, which functioned as a state training school for secondary teachers. University High was located at 48th and Webster Streets in Oakland from 1914 to 1922; in 1922 a new school was built at 5714 Grove Street. Classes were conducted there until 1946, when, due to declining enrollment, the school was closed.

    Scope and Content

    The collection consists of minute books and scrapbooks of school organizations, school publications, and memorabilia (plaques, a trophy, photographs and a school banner). Included are scrapbooks concerning 1950, 1955, 1960 and 1986 class reunions, and local newspaper clippings about University High written between 1984-1986, as well as lists of alumni compiled in 1986 and 1987.
    The school yearbook, The Cub and the Daily Uni, University High's daily newspaper, are housed separately in University Archives.