Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Philip L. Boyd Collection on University of California, Irvine Site Selection, 1958-1964
AS-067  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (79.04 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • Organizational History
  • Collection Scope and Content Summary
  • Related Collections

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Philip L. Boyd collection on University of California, Irvine site selection,
    Date (inclusive): 1958-1964
    Collection number: AS-067
    Collector: Boyd, Philip L.
    Extent: 0.2 linear feet (1 box)
    Repository: University of California, Irvine. Library. Special Collections and Archives.
    Irvine, California 92623-9557
    Abstract: This collection contains materials related to the selection of the campus site for the University of California, Irvine. The collection primarily consists of correspondence between former University of California Regent, Philip L. Boyd and parties interested in or participating in the selection of the Irvine campus site. Correspondence spans the initial search for a site in 1958 to the development of specific buildings and the development of a curriculum for the new campus in 1964. Correspondents include members of the California legislature, local business community leaders, University Regents, members of the Irvine Company, and California Governor Edmund Brown. Also included are photographs documenting the signing of the site selection agreement and aerial photographs of the proposed site. This collection also contains a site selection status report published in 1958 that details campus site searches for the Southern California Metropolitan Center Section (Irvine) and the Southern Cross Section (San Diego).
    Language: English.

    Administrative Information

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Property rights and copyright reside with the University of California. For permissions to reproduce or to publish, please contact the University Archivist.

    Preferred Citation

    Philip L. Boyd Collection on University of California, Irvine Site Selection. AS-067. Special Collections and Archives, The UC Irvine Libraries, Irvine, California. Date accessed.
    For the benefit of current and future researchers, please cite any additional information about sources consulted in this collection, including permanent URLs, item or folder descriptions, and box/folder locations.

    Acquisition Information

    Acquired, 1978.

    Processing History

    Processed by Leland Smith in 2003.

    Organizational History

    A rapidly growing California population in the late 1950s prompted the Regents of the University of California to explore the possibility of adding new campuses in an attempt to meet the state's escalating need for higher education. Enrollment projections suggested that the University would require three new campuses by 1970 to meet the rising demand. After selecting Santa Cruz and San Diego as new outposts for the University, the Regents undertook a search to discover a campus site in the Southeast Los Angeles-Orange County area. The Regents selected twenty-three sites in the region based on size, shape, physical setting, availability, accessibility, their relationship to the center of population and potential for planned community development. Additional criteria for selecting a campus site included finding an area with a large and increasing population, and a strategic site that would relieve pressure from existing campuses, namely Los Angeles and Riverside.
    Because the new Irvine campus did not previously exist as a University satellite campus, developers were able to carefully select a site and its development that met the criteria of their conceptualized model. After narrowing their selection to the three highest-ranking sites, site #9 situated inland from Newport Beach and located on the Irvine Ranch was tentatively selected. The Irvine Ranch site was perceived as having the greatest long-term potential for development, despite its relative remoteness. Planners envisioned a campus surrounded by a burgeoning planned community that naturally facilitated a relationship between "town and gown." The Irvine Ranch site was also attractive because ownership of the land resided with a single owner, The Irvine Company.
    Once the campus site was chosen, the University undertook to appropriate the necessary land for the new campus. In 1960 the Irvine Company reached an agreement with the University of California to deed as a gift one thousand acres of land for a new campus in Orange County. The Regents were convinced that an additional plot of land would be necessary to meet the new campus's ancillary needs. Over the course of the next four years, The Irvine Company and UC negotiated the terms of sale for an Inclusion Area, intended primarily for faculty, staff, and student housing, as well as commercial development adjacent to the campus. In 1963, the two parties reached an agreement in which UC purchased 510 additional acres at a price of $6,500 per acre.

    Collection Scope and Content Summary

    This collection contains materials related to the selection of the campus site for the University of California, Irvine. The collection primarily consists of correspondence between former University of California Regent, Philip L. Boyd and parties interested in or participating in the selection of the Irvine campus site. Correspondence spans the initial search for a site in 1958 to the development of specific buildings and the development of a curriculum for the new campus in 1964. Correspondents include members of the California legislature, local business community leaders, University Regents, members of the Irvine Company, and California Governor Edmund Brown. Also included are photographs documenting the signing of the site selection agreement and aerial photographs of the proposed site. This collection also contains a site selection status report published in 1958 that details campus site searches for the Southern California Metropolitan Center Section (Irvine) and the Southern Cross Section (San Diego).
    This collection is arranged into three categories: correspondence, photos, and reports. Correspondence is arranged chronologically.

    Related Collections

    Related materials can be found in the following collections:
    · As-089 · Land Agreements between the University of California and the Irvine Company, AS-090
    See also: Luckman (Charles) Associates. University of California Site Selection Study; a Report [to the Board of Regents] on the Search for New Campus Sites, Southern California Metropolitan Center Section [and] South Cross Section. Los Angeles : Charles Luckman Associates, [1959].