Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Santa Cruz Woman's Club Records
MS 73  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (80.38 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Organization History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms
  • Related Material

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Santa Cruz Woman's Club records
    Dates: 1907-1982
    Collection number: MS 73
    Creator: Santa Cruz Woman's Club
    Collection Size: 10 boxes
    Repository: University of California, Santa Cruz. University Library. Special Collections and Archives
    Santa Cruz, California 95064
    Abstract: This collection contains scrapbooks, minutes, treasurer's report and yearbooks of the club.
    Physical location: Stored offsite at NRLF: Advance notice is required for access to the papers.
    Languages: Languages represented in the collection: English

    Access

    Collection open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Property rights reside with the University of California. Literary rights are retained by the creators of the records and their heirs. For permission to publish or to reproduce the material, please contact the Head of Special Collections and Archives.

    Preferred Citation

    Santa Cruz Woman's Club records. MS 73. Special Collections and Archives, University Library, University of California, Santa Cruz.

    Acquisition Information

    Gift of the Santa Cruz Woman's Club in 2004.

    Organization History

    The Santa Cruz Woman's Club was organized in 1907 as the Saturday Afternoon Club. The founders were Mrs. M. Tanner Gushee, Mrs. J.P. Twist, Mrs. W. H. Williamson, Mrs F. W. Swanton and Mrs. Ella Vivienne Noe Phillips. Mrs. Alexnder McLean served as the first President from 1907-1909. The club became affiliated with the California Federation of Women's Clubs in March 1908 and with the national organization, the General Federation of Women's Clubs, in March 1912. The Santa Cruz Woman's Club incorporated in 1954.
    At the end of 1926, the name was changed to the Santa Cruz Woman's Club. According to the 1927-1928 Yearbook, Twentieth Program Year: "This is the close of the first decade of the local Woman's Club. For nineteen years it has been valued and loved as the Saturday Afternoon Club. But a decade brings changes. The automobile and highway development have made it possible for sons and daughters to come home for the week-ends, and for old friends to meet again. Our hills and beaches have their own magnetism and our hospitable club members found it necessary to be in their homes over the weekends. So at the close of the nineteenth year the members voted to change the name to the Santa Cruz Woman's Club, and the meeting days to the second and fourth Thursdays."
    Santa Cruz Woman's Club gives scholarships, and supports various philanthopies, such as the Veterans and active military with Christmas gift bags. They are also a social club with quarterly meetings, social progams and activities from September through June.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    This collection contains scrapbooks, minutes, treasurer's report and yearbooks of the club.

    Indexing Terms

    The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
    Santa Cruz Woman's Club--Archives
    Saturday Afternoon Club--Archives
    Women--California--Societies and clubs--History
    California Federation of Women's Clubs