The Otay Ranch Records document the history of San Diego county through the administrative, economic, financial, employment
and agricultural records that describe the operations of this large south county ranch. The documents include correspondence
from Stephen Birch, Sr., the original owner of Otay Ranch Agricultural Corp. in 1936, to the ranch foremen, bookkeepers and
managers; and financial, agricultural, and employment records from 1936 through the 1980s. Also included is material relating
to Birch family history, including copies of letters dating from the 1840s.
Otay Ranch, originally a land grant, named Rancho del Otay, by Mexican Governor Echeandia to Maria Estudillo and her brother
Jose Antonio Estudillo, was owned and operated by Stephen Birch and his family from 1920 until the mid-1980s. During the 1800s,
this area was important for the sheep operations that ran between Mexico and Southern California.
103.8 Linear feet
(126 archives boxes, 49 record cartons, 5 map case folders and 3 flat boxes)
Publication rights are held by the creator of the collection.
Documents related to payroll, located in the FINANCIAL series, are restricted.