The League of Women Voters of Berkeley, Albany, and Emeryville (LWVBAE) Records, 1911-[ongoing], consist of administrative
files, program material, and election services records. Program material includes records of league studies, positions, and
action relating to local, state, and national issues. Local areas of concern include government structure, city finances,
planning, government services, education, and social policy. Election services material relates to voter education and voter
registration. The records include Board of Directors agendas and meeting minutes, bylaws, correspondence, financial statements,
notes, reports, and clippings. Records in the collection date from 1911 to 2001, with the bulk dating from 1939-1992.
The League of Women Voters of Berkeley, Albany, and Emeryville (LWVBAE) was first established as the Berkeley Center of the
California Civic League in 1911, when women won the right to vote in California. The League of Women Voters of the United
States was established in 1920, the same year that the 19th amendment was ratified. One year later, the California Civic League
merged with the League of Women Voters to became the California Unit of the League of Women Voters of the United States. At
the same time, the Berkeley Center of the California Civic League became the Berkeley League of Women Voters. The most recent
administrative change occurred in 1994, when Albany and Emeryville were added to the service area of the Berkeley League and
the name was changed to the League of Women Voters of Berkeley, Albany, and Emeryville.
Copyright has been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must
be submitted in writing to the appropriate curator or the Head of Public Services for forwarding. Permission for publication
is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and the copyright.