Title: California State Board of Education Records
Collection number: F3752, F3844, F3696
State Board of Education
Collection size: 110 cubic feet, 358 volumes and 530 audiotapes
California State Archives
Abstract: The records of the California State Board of Education consist of 110 cubic feet, 358 bound volumes, and audiocassettes of
records covering the period 1866 through 2004. The official Board meeting minutes make up the bulk of this record group and
range from 1866-2004.
Physical location: California State Archives
Languages: Languages represented in the collection:
Collection is open for research.
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives
[Identification of item], California State Board of Education Records, F[number]:[folder number], California State Archives,
Office of the Secretary of State, Sacramento, California.
The California State Archives acquired the State Board of Education Records according to state law.
The State Board of Education is the governing and policy-making body of the Department of Education. First created in 1852
Stats. 1852, ch. 52) the Board initially consisted of the Governor, the Surveyor General, and the Superintendent of Public Instruction
who also served as its secretary and executive officer. In 1866, the Board was enlarged (
Stats. 1865-66, ch. 342) to include the Governor, the Superintendent of Public Instruction, the Principal of the State Normal School,
the Superintendents of Common Schools of San Francisco, Sacramento, Santa Clara, and San Joaquin Counties, and two professional
teachers nominated by the Superintendent of Public Instruction. The Superintendents of Common Schools of Alameda and Sonoma
Counties were added in 1870. A constitutional amendment in 1884 set up a new Board consisting of the Governor, the Superintendent
of Public Instruction, and the Principals of the State Normal Schools (
Const. 1879, Art. IX, sec. 7, amended 1884). The President of the University of California and a professor of pedagogy were added
to the Board in 1894.
The Constitution was again amended in 1912 to provide that the Legislature should decide on the appointment or election of
the Board (
Const. 1879, Art. IX, sec. 7, amended 1912). Under this constitutional amendment, the Legislature, in 1913, created a State Board
of Education with seven members who were appointed by the Governor for four year terms (
Stats. 1913, ch. 328). When the Department of Education was created in 1921, the Board continued in force as the governing body of
the Department with the Superintendent as its ex-officio secretary. In 1927 the Board completely reorganized with the passage
of a law changing the membership from seven to ten members to be appointed by the Governor with the consent of the Senate
Stats. 1927, ch. 453).
The Board as organized in 1975 determined all questions of policy within its powers and adopted rules and regulations not
inconsistent with the laws of the state to govern itself, its appointees and employees, elementary and secondary schools of
California, and other schools receiving financial support from the state.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in
the library's online public access catalog.