Collection includes memoranda, bulletins, newsletters, and reports, relating to compulsory non-military public service, conscientious
objectors, and the work of the Brethren Civilian Public Service Committee in the United States during World War II.
Civilian Public Services Camps ran 1941 to 1947 for conscientious objectors drafted in World War II. In a joint operation
between church and government, the camps operated as compulsory non-military public service for conscientious objectors. The
Civilian Public Service (CPS) provided a response to low labor shortages and another option for drafted individuals who expressed
their right to not take part in military services. The Brethren Service Committee operated technical agencies in over 71 CPS
Camps around the country.
6 manuscript boxes
(2.4 linear feet)
For copyright status, please contact the Hoover Institution Archives.
Collection is open for research.