The Chinese Nationalist Government created the Chinese National Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (CNRRA) in January
1945. CNRRA was a temporary organization charged with administering and coordinating the China-based operations of the United
Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA), which had been established at a 44-nation conference in 1943 to
carry out global reconstruction in the wake of the Second World War. Dr. T. F. Tsiang, CNRRA's Director-General, and T. V.
Soong, who chaired the Special Cabinet Committee on Relief and Rehabilitation, oversaw the organization. Its functions included
administering emergency relief, returning refugees to their homes, rehabilitating China's agricultural and industrial sectors
and establishing a public health program. Initially, CNRRA was headquartered in Chongqing (Chunking), China's wartime capital.
In December 1945, however, it relocated its operations center to Shanghai and created a headquarters in Nanjing (Nanking).
The agency distributed UNRRA supplies through free relief and direct sales at regional offices in Guangzhou (Canton), Changsha,
Zhenjiang (Chinkiang), Hangzhou (Hangchow), Wuhan (Hankow), Kaifeng, Guilin (Kweilin), Shenyang (Mukden), Nanchang, Shanghai,
Taipei, Taiyuan, Tianjin (Tientsin), Qingdao (Tsingtao), Wuhu.