Collection pertains both to the School of Physical Sciences and the later program in physical sciences. Included are correspondence,
budgets, fiscal records, and miscellaneous items, 1934-72; one file on courses, 1931-32; course materials for the general
program classes (survey of physical sciences and astronomy), 1952-73; and course materials for several physics classes, 1955-65.
Collection also includes a file on the campus observatory, 1960-64.
The School of Physical Sciences, instituted in 1926, consisted of the departments of chemistry, geology, mathematics, and
physics; in 1949 the School of Humanities and Sciences was organized and retained a general program in physical sciences.
The program was administered by chemistry professor Claudio Alvarez-Tostado.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the
Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.
This collection is open for research.