Title: UCLA Fine Arts Productions Committee Clippings, Files-Announcements, and Reviews of Events
Date (inclusive): 1973-1979
Record Series number: 274
Creator: University of California, Los Angeles. Fine Arts Productions Committee.
Extent: 14 boxes (5.6 linear ft.)
University of California, Los Angeles. Library.
Department of Special Collections. University Archives.
Los Angeles, California 90095-1575
Physical location: Stored off-site at SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact the UCLA Library, Department
of Special Collections, University Archives Reference Desk for paging information.
In 1936, U.C. President Robert Sproul appointed the Committee on Drama, Lectures, and
Music (later known as the Committee on Fine Arts Production and currently known as the
Center for Performing Arts) to present on-campus one musical even each year. The first
event sponsored by the Committee occurred on 4 February 1937 when the Vienna Choir Boys
performed on the UCLA campus. During the 1960s, under the leadership of Frances Inglis,
the Center built a national and international reputation for the size and sophistication
of its programs. In 1973, Inglis was succeeded by Edmond Harris, who increased the number
of programs and encouraged works by new and avant-garde artists. In 1979, Harris was
succeeded by the present director, Pebbles Wadsworth.