Negatives and photographic prints documenting the history of the Long Beach Fire Department. Included are
images of the department from its earliest days in the early 20th century through to 1971. Images focus upon
department personnel, apparatus, fires, and fire prevention. Also includes photographic prints and negatives
which document the history of the city of Long Beach, including documentation of the March 10, 1933 earthquake
and documentation of early drilling activities including major fires in the Long Beach area.
The city of Long Beach was incorporated in 1897, and shortly thereafter, a group of citizens formed the
first Volunteer Fire Department and elected Brewster C. Kenyon as Captain. After a 1905 fire destroyed the
Long Beach Pavilion, a $30,000 bond was issued by popular vote to build a central fire station as well as
provide equipment, including fire alarm boxes, a steam fire engine, a hose wagon, and a hook and ladder truck,
as well as a team of horses to pull the newly purchased trucks.
[20.295 linear ft]
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Archives
and Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical
materials and not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.