The San José State University Student Council, also known as the Associated Students (A.S.), formed in 1897 as a student club.
The Student Council and the Student Court served as the executive and judicial body of student government on campus. In 1923,
the Student Council reorganized and was renamed the Associated Students. The Associated Students incorporated in 1980, and
is divided into two branches: Executive and Legislative. The Associated Students Records, 1948-2006, document the activities
of the university's student government organization. The records consist of meeting minutes, correspondence, budget materials,
election and campaign records and newspaper clippings. This collection is arranged into five series: Series I. Budget and
Finance Records, 1961-2006; Series II. Election and Campaign Records, 1965-2004; Series III. Meeting Minutes, Agendas, Rules,
and Procedures, 1948-2006; Series IV. Newspaper Clippings and Scrapbook Materials, 1967-2000; and Series V. Miscellaneous
In 1857 the San Francisco Board of Education established Minns' Evening Normal School for current and prospective teachers
in the city. Named after its principal, George W. Minns, the institution was formally established as the first California
State Normal School by the State Legislature in 1862. A decade later, the Legislature voted to move the Normal School to San
José, and the school relocated to its new home on Washington Square prior to the fall term of 1872. After a fire destroyed
the Normal School building in 1880, the Legislature authorized $200,000 to construct a new building on the same site. Completed
in 1881, the building was commonly referred to as the Second State Normal School. After several names and curriculum changes,
Minns' Normal School is now San José State University, offering more than 134 bachelor's and master's degrees with 110 concentrations,
and is recognized as one of the top public universities granting such degrees in the West.
52.67 linear feet
Copyright is assigned to the San José State University Library Special Collections &
Archives. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to
the Director of Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Special Collections
& Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the
copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital
reproductions of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.
The collection is open for research.