Correspondence, writings, pamphlets, clippings, and photographs, relating to world agricultural problems, and activities of
the International Institute of Agriculture. Includes papers of Laura Lubin Saqui, daughter of D. Lubin.
David Lubin, a merchant and farmer in Sacramento, created the idea of the International Institute of Agriculture (IIA). The
institute's goals were to help farmers share knowledge, establish a cooperative system of rural credit, and control the marketing
of farmers' products. In 1906, Lubin was appointed the permanent U.S. delegate to the IIA. In 1913 at the meeting of the IIA
congress in Rome, Lubin received a Silver Cup Award for his efforts in establishing the organization. The IIA ceased its operations
in 1945, when most of its assets were transferred to the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). The mandate
of international cooperation in the field of agriculture is continued by the FAO, which named its library in honor of David
Lubin. The David Lubin Elementary School is located a few blocks from the site of David Lubin's former home in Sacramento,
4 manuscript boxes, 1 oversize box
(2 linear feet)
For copyright status, please contact the Hoover Institution Archives.
Collection is open for research.