The papers of Rabbi Willam Stern of Oakland, California. The collection includes files on Stern's involvement with various
local and national organizations, Jewish and non-Jewish; files from Stern's years at Temple Sinai; correspondence, including
letters of appreciation to Rabbi Stern for his efforts on weddings, bar mitzvot, funerals, and conversions; sermons and addresses,
some of which were for the Jewish Chautauqua Society, about religious, patriotic, and philanthropic matters, including The
California Jew in History; subject files; ephemera and clippings; certificates and commendations; and a small number of photographs.
William Stern served as a rabbi of Oakland's Temple Sinai from 1934 to 1965. Before serving at Sinai, he was a rabbi at Congregation
United Hebrew in Fort Smith, Oklahoma, and at Temple Beth El, in South Bend, Indiana. During his tenure at Temple Sinai, Stern
was known for his knowledge, thoughtfulness, congeniality, and patriotism, and Sinai's membership increased greatly during
his rabbinate. He actively involved himself in the affairs of his community, Jewish and non-Jewish alike, immersing himself
in interfaith relations and doing what he could to combat anti-Semitism. He served with various civic organizations, including
the Citizens Committees for Better Schools, Better Dental Health and Urban Renewal; Travelers Aid; the Alameda County United
Fund; Rotary Club; the Jewish Community Relations Council (with which he was affiliated from 1952 to 1964); the Northern California
Board of Rabbis (from 1939 until his death); the Interfaith Committee on Release Time and Religious Education; the Jewish
Committee for Personal Service; the Jewish Welfare Federation of Alameda and Contra Costa Counties; and the Palestine Orchestra
Fund. In 1937, Rabbi Stern spoke for the Emergency Peace Campaign of Northern Foreign War Crusade. In 1942, he was elected
to the executive council for the Oakland Area War Fund.
Number of containers: 6 cartons, 2 boxes, and 2 oversize boxes
Linear feet: 8.2
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head
of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-6000. Consent is given on behalf of The
Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright
owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner. See: http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/reference/permissions.html.
Collection is open for research.