Records of the Contra Costa Park Council, a citizens’ group formed in 1951 to promote active use of park land and preserve
open space in Contra Costa County as well as around the Bay Area. The collection documents the Council’s collaboration with
conservation organizations, planning officials, and lawmakers at the city, county, and state level.
The Contra Costa Park Council (formerly the Contra Costa Park and Recreation Council) was established in 1951 as a citizens’
group devoted to addressing the creation and preservation of recreation areas in the county. At the time of the Council’s
founding, the county was estimated to be home to only one square mile of public park land. Parks, in fact, were not a county
responsibility. The Council’s initial activities included recruiting members and launching public information campaigns with
the aim of convincing the county government to assume this responsibility: these efforts resulted in county officials’ decision
to sanction a park system that would be governed by a county Park Commission (later the Contra Costa Recreation and Natural
Resources Commission). In 1964, the Council successfully pushed forward an initiative to annex the county’s parks system to
the East Bay Regional Park District, which would help to give the county’s parks a stable funding source and more secure future.
5 cartons, 1 oversize folder
(6.25 linear feet)
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head
of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-6000. Consent is given on behalf of The
Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright
owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner. See:
Collection is open for research.