Organizational / Historical Note
Scope and Content of Collection
Title: Carlhian records
Date (inclusive): 1867-1988
1331.62 linear ft.
(837 boxes, 627 flatfile folders, 86 rolls)
The Getty Research Institute
1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 1100
Los Angeles, California, 90049-1688
Records of the Paris-based interior design firm, including ledgers, stock books, furniture designs, correspondence, photographs,
fabric samples, drawings, and business records for the firms' Paris, London, New York, and Buenos Aires offices.
Language: Collection material is in
Organizational / Historical Note
The Carlhian family operated a leading Paris-based interior design firm that specialized in interiors in the French eighteenth-century
style. The firm's foundation is traced back to 1867, when Anatole Carlhian and his brother-in-law, Albert Dujardin-Beaumetz,
founded the export commission business Carlhian & Beaumetz located in Paris at 30, rue Beaurepaire, close to the place de
la République. The firm initially made purchases on behalf of its clients and later specialized in reproductions of period
French furniture. The London dealer Duveen Brothers became an important client, using Carlhian & Beaumetz as an intermediary
for its dealings in the French market not involving fine art and antique objects. Duveen Brothers also recommended Carlhian
& Beaumetz to the future king of England Edward VII as designers for the thrones for his coronation ceremonies.
Anatole Carlhian and Albert Dujardin-Beaumetz died in 1904 and 1906, respectively, leaving the business to Anatole's sons,
Paul, aged 31, and his brother André, 23. The brothers renamed the firm Carlhian & Cie and moved it to 24, rue Mont-Thabor,
between the place Vendôme and the rue de Rivoli. The woodworking, painting, and wallpaper workshops were located in avenue
Rapp, close to the Eiffel Tower. Spurred by Joseph Duveen, and benefiting from both his orders and his support, Carlhian &
Cie entered the trade in architectural salvage from French châteaux and hôtels, making the acquisition and trade of boiseries
In 1914, both Carlhian brothers went off to war. Paul was killed in August 1914, leaving André to run the business alone.
During André's absence at the front, the French architect and interior designer René Sergent helped keep the business alive.
In 1918, at the end of the war, the firm relocated to 6 bis, avenue Kléber, near the place de l'Étoile, expanding to the nearby
rue de Lauriston for its workshops. These large premises housed the business offices, the drawing office, the painting, wallpaper,
woodworking, and cabinetmaking workshops, and a photographic laboratory. This is also where the large amount of documentation
necessary to the profession was stored, including a library, wood paneling molds, a collection of antique chairs that were
kept for reproduction purposes, nineteenth-century wallpaper mural and upholstery fabrics. The premises served as well as
a showroom for the period wood paneling that formed the main part of the firm's stock of antiques. Models for entire interior
decorations, including boiseries, were built so clients could admire Carlhian's works and collections. The scale models, made
of wood, cardboard, and paper, were reproductions of proposed decorations with antique or modern pieces for clients to observe,
not from above but at the level of the eye, so as to provide the sensation of a perspective inside the room. At this time,
Carlhian employed around thirty craftsmen and office staff. Under André's management, the firm, now called Maison Carlhian,
established itself as a respected decorator.
In 1925, the Société Ateliers Carlhian was created, responsible for managing the painting and wallpaper workshops. It was
first located at 3, rue Lauriston in Paris, and then under the name of Société d'études et de décoration at 29, place du Marché
Saint-Honoré in Paris. Carlhian Exportation (1925-1961) was formed to handle foreign branches and subsidiaries: Carlhian of
Paris in New York (1907-1939, 1947-1953), a branch in Buenos Aires established in association with Frères Block (1909-1916),
and a branch in London in association with Wildenstein (1945-1966). During World War II, a branch was created in the south
of France in Cannes.
In 1930, the firm became a S.A.R.L. or Société à responsabilité limitée, that is a private corporation with limited liability,
Carlhian S.A.R.L. In 1938, Carlhian moved from the avenue Kléber to large premises on the ground floor and basement of 22,
place Vendôme, staying there until 1953. After World War II, the Carlhian firm assisted the United States government with
the design and production of furniture pieces for use in many of the still existing Ambassador's residences. In 1953, while
André Carlhian continued as an antique dealer, his two sons, Robert and Michel, founded the firm R. & M. Carlhian, located
at 73, quai d'Orsay, to pursue their profession of interior design and decoration. In 1975, shortly before the death of Michel
Carlhian, the two brothers decided to liquidate their business.
Open for use by qualified researchers.
Carlhian (Firm) records, 1867-1988, The Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles, Accession no. 930092.
Acquired in 1993.
Processed in 1993 by several staff members. Additional processing and arrangement by Teresa Morales 1996-1998.
From November 1995 to April 1995, 14,000 photographs were cleaned by Teresa Morales with direction from Deborah Derby, Special
Collections Book Lab Conservator, and assistance from her staff: Jim Neal, Leslie Harris, Marva Semet and Bill MacGregor.
Teresa Morales and Michelle Brunnick fitted mylar jackets to volumes whose bindings were damaged and in fragile condition.
From 2001-2002, Bette Mesquit devised mylar containers for the fabric samples; additional housing prepared by Marc Benson
and Teresa Morales, 2011.
Moldy items were cleaned and processed 2006-2009 under the supervision of Mary Reinsch-Sackett by Genevieve Cordova, Jane
Mandel, Tom McClintock, Annette Pedrosian, and Katie Taylor. Jan Bender processed 4000 photographs.
Karen Meyer-Roux completed the rehousing of the archive, devised the arrangement and the series, and wrote this finding aid,
Scope and Content of Collection
The Carlhian archive represents over a century of the operations of the Paris-based decorating firm and dealer from its foundation
in 1867 to 1975, when it ceased its activities. It includes ledgers, stock books, business records, correspondence, photographs,
fabric samples, blueprints, and furniture designs that record the firm's operations in Paris, and their branches in Buenos
Aires, Cannes, London, and New York. In New York, the Carlhian firm initially worked closely with Duveen, often for the same
clients, such as the Wideners. Correspondence with clients, dealers, workshops, and between branches document the day-to-day
operations of the business. Photographs and drawings trace the designs for the interiors of houses and offices in the United
States, Europe and Latin America, including the cities of Newport, R.I., New York, Havana, Cannes, London, and Paris. They
provide a detailed view of entire rooms of paneling, fabrics, and panoramic wallpaper, a speciality of the Carlhian firm.
Arranged in twelve series:
Series I. Photographic documentation, 1894-1964, undated;
Series II. Stock books, circa 1901-1975;
Series III. Order books, 1908-1976;
Series IV. Debit books, 1883-1974;
Series V. Other accounting books and papers, 1867-1977;
Series VI. Correspondence, 1887-1980;
Series VII. Carlhian of Paris (New York), 1910-1963, undated;
Series VIII. Plans and drawings, 1893-1980, undated;
Series IX. Fabric samples, 1920-1960, undated;
Series X. Documentation for boiseries, 1913-1988, undated;
Series XI. Documentation for scenic wallpaper, circa 1920-1974, undated;
Series XII. Miscellaneous, 1901-1966, undated.
Subjects - Names
Carlhian, André, 1883-1967
Carlhian, Robert, 1910-2001
Subjects - Corporate Bodies
Carlhian of Paris (New York, N.Y.)
Subjects - Topics
Furniture-Collectors and collecting
Genres and Forms of Material
Architectural drawings (visual works)