The Turner/MGM scripts span the years 1918-1986 and encompass 1,378 linear feet. A total
of 1,839 feature films are represented. The files contain scripts, treatments, original source material,
other story material, and music reports that function as music cue sheets. The collection provides
comprehensive coverage of MGM's feature film output from the company's earliest days through the
acquisition of its film library by Turner in 1986. The Turner Entertainment Company has retained all
original script material for GONE WITH THE WIND (1939) and THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939).
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, an American motion picture production company, was formed in 1924. The studio was
located in Culver City, California. MGM was formed when the theater circuit Loew's Inc., owner of Metro
Pictures Corporation, acquired Goldwyn Pictures Corporation and Louis B. Mayer Pictures and subsequently
merged the three companies. Turner Entertainment Company (TEC), a subsidiary of Turner Broadcasting
System, Inc. (TBS), was formed in 1986 following TBS's acquisition of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. Turner then
immediately sold the MGM studio to Lorimar Pictures while retaining the film library and script
1,378 linear feet of papers.
Property rights to the physical object belong to the Margaret Herrick Library. Researchers are responsible for obtaining all
necessary rights, licenses, or permissions from the appropriate companies or individuals before quoting from or publishing
materials obtained from the library.
Available by appointment only.