Includes correspondence and project and subject files documenting public infrastructure construction in San Francisco, following
the 1906 earthquake and fire.
San Francisco’s Board of Public Works was created on January 8, 1900 by Article VI of the City Charter, directed by three
commissioners. The original four bureaus were: Engineering, Streets, Building, and Light and Water Services. The department
was initially tasked with organizing street construction and paving projects throughout the city. Records of the City and
County Surveyor’s Office were placed in the hands of the City Engineer.
41 boxes, 1 manuscripts box
(39.2 cubic feet)
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours. Collections that are stored offsite should
be requested 48 hours in advance.