Guide to the Jewish Newspaper Collection

© Copyright 2011 Special Collections & University Archives. All rights reserved.
2011-09-13
5500 Campanile Dr. MC 8050
San Diego, CA, 92182-8050
URL: http://library.sdsu.edu/scua
Email: scref@rohan.sdsu.edu
Phone: 619-594-6791

Guide to the Jewish Newspaper Collection 1959/1986

Special Collections & University Archives

Overview of the Collection

Collection Title: Jewish Newspaper Collection
Dates: 1959-1986
Identification: MS-0482
Creator: Jewish Community Center
Physical Description: 1.00 linear ft
Language of Materials: English
Repository: Special Collections & University Archives
5500 Campanile Dr. MC 8050
San Diego, CA, 92182-8050
URL: http://library.sdsu.edu/scua
Email: scref@rohan.sdsu.edu
Phone: 619-594-6791

Historical Note:

The Jewish Community Center Movement, advocated by Rabbi Mordecai Kaplan in his book "Judaism as a Civilization," was the basis for the founding of centers all over the country, as non-religious communal centers for Jewish cultural, sport, and social activities. The Jewish Community Centers of San Diego started as a store front in North Park in the late 1940's or early 1950's and moved to 54th St (East County) in 1957. In the mid 1980's the Lawrence Family JCC was opened in University City.

Administrative Information

Custodial History:

The materials in this collection were donated to the Jewish Historical Society of San Diego in 2001 by Mollie Harris and her son Andrew (JHSSD #2003.09.) It was transferred to the Library and Information Access August 23, 2011.

Conditions Governing Use:

The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine.  Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.

Conditions Governing Access:

This collection is open for research.

Preferred Citation:

Identification of item, folder title, box number, Jewish Newspaper Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Library and Information Access, San Diego State University.

Scope and Contents

This collection of newspapers from the Jewish Community Center documents some of their activities over a period of  almost 30 years.  The contents of the collection consist of bulletins and newspapers from the East County (54th St.) and Lawrence Family Jewish Community Centers from 1959-1986 published under various names: Center Scribe, CENTER PIECE , CENTERFOLD.
The materials in this collection were donated to the Jewish Historical Society of San Diego in 2001 by Mollie Harris and her son Andrew (JHSSD #2003.09.) It was transferred to the Library and Information Access August 23, 2011.

Detailed List of Contents

Box 1, Folder 1

Center Scribe 1959

Box 1, Folder 2

Centerfold 1975-1977

Box 1, Folder 3

Centerfold 1978-1981

Box 1, Folder 4

Centerfold 1981-1982

Box 1, Folder 5

Centerfold 1983

Box 1, Folder 6

Centerfold 1984

Box 1, Folder 7

Centerfold 1985-1986