The Technicolor collection spans the years 1918-1965 and encompasses 24.5 linear feet. The collection
contains business records, including film continuities; a stock shot card index; notes for a series of
Technicolor educational lectures; miscellaneous files containing script material, correspondence, and
clippings; four scrapbooks; and Technicolor motion picture film frames. The 49 film continuity volumes
span the years 1936-1962 and offer detailed scene continuity and film footage counts on approximately
3,750 features and short subjects. The photograph series consists of 8,392 items, primarily original 35mm
Technicolor motion picture film frames for 137 films.
The Technicolor Motion Picture Corporation, an American company that developed a motion picture
process for color cinematography, was formed in 1915. The process was developed by engineers Herbert
Kalmus and Daniel Comstock. Hundreds of films were released with the credit "Color by Technicolor" during
the company's heyday in the 1940s and 1950s. Technicolor has received more than half a dozen scientific
and technical awards from the Academy, and was honored with a 1939 Special Award. Long the industry
standard for color printing, Technicolor maintains a laboratory in North Hollywood, California.
21.5 linear feet of papers.
3 linear feet of photographs.
Property rights to the physical object belong to the Margaret Herrick Library. Researchers are
responsible for obtaining all necessary rights, licenses, or permissions from the appropriate companies
or individuals before quoting from or publishing materials obtained from the library.
Available by appointment only.