The Ray and Garstang collection of bound tearsheets from architecture and art publications span 16 linear feet and date from
circa 1897 to circa 1935. The collection is composed of tearsheets from various art and architecture publications, such as,
The Architectural Forum,
The American Architect,
The Art Journal,
Pencil Points, among others, bound by subject. These bound volumes were from the personal library of the two architects. Approximately
ten are volumes from the library of J. H. Francis Polytechnic High School in Sun Valley, California. It is unclear when these
volumes were added to the collection. Subjects that are covered in these bound volumes include: bank architecture, murals,
stained glass, commercial entrances, public buildings, college buildings, libraries, concert halls, architectural engineering,
and churches, among others.
This collection of bound tearsheets from architecture and art publications was created by architects Alfred W. Rea and Charles
E. Garstang. Rea & Garstang was an architectural firm established in Joplin, Missouri in 1901. The firm later located to Los
Angeles, California sometime in the 1920s.