Finding Aid for the Helen Matthewson Club. Subject files. 1933-1987.

Finding aid prepared by University Archives staff, 1991 February; finding aid revised by Katharine A. Lawrie, 2013 July; machine-readable finding aid created by Katharine A. Lawrie, 2013 July.
UCLA Library Special Collections
Room A1713, Charles E. Young Research Library
Box 951575
Los Angeles, CA, 90095-1575
(310) 825-4988
spec-coll@library.ucla.edu
©1991 February


Title: Helen Matthewson Club. Subject files.
Identifier/Call Number: University Archives Record Series 446
Contributing Institution: UCLA Library Special Collections
Language of Material: English
Physical Description: 0.8 linear ft. (2 boxes)
Date: 1933-1987
Abstract: Record Series 446 contains the subject files of the Helen Matthewson Club (HMC) and alumnae.
Creator: Helen Matthewson Club. 1923-1965

Access

COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.

Publication Rights

Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Helen Matthewson Club. Subject files (University Archives Record Series 446). UCLA Library Special Collections, University Archives.

Historical Note

The Helen Matthewson Club (HMC) was established in the fall of 1923 by Dean of Women Helen Matthewson Laughlin as a living cooperative where self supporting University women could enjoy the companionship of others, obtain adequate housing at a fair price, and serve the school and community. The HMC was initially located at Oakwood House near the Vermont Ave. campus of the University of California Southern Branch [UCLA]. With the Fall 1929 opening of UCLA's Westwood campus, the HMC relocated to a new home at 900 Hilgard Ave.
On June 30, 1950 the HMC house at 900 Hilgard Ave. was "dissolved" and the property used for a new UCLA religious center. With the help of the Helen Matthewson Club Alumnae (HMCA) the remaining HMC active members joined the Phenix Club in Santa Monica. In 1954 the Phenix Club formally merged with the HMC. In 1957 the HMC acquired a house at 820 Levering Ave. As a result of decreasing membership, the Levering Ave. house closed in 1965. In the same year, 1965, the Helen Matthewson Memorial Scholarship fund was established and administered by the HMCA.
Helen Matthewson Laughlin (b.1881-d.1960) served as the Los Angeles State Normal School Dean of Women (1911-1919) and the UCLA Dean of Women (1919-1946).

Scope and Content

Record Series 446 contains the subject files of the Helen Matthewson Club (HMC) and alumnae. Files include articles of incorporation, by-laws, financial documents, events, and scholarship files, as well as information on Laughlin Residential Suites and the HMC residence on Levering Ave.
Acronyms and initialisms appearing in this series include:
  • HMC = Helen Matthewson Club
  • HMCA = Helen Matthewson Club Alumnae
This is an inactive record series; no additional University records are expected to be added.

UCLA Catalog Record ID

UCLA Catalog Record ID: 1720433 

Box 1

Annual HMC Breakfast - invitations. 1971-1973.

Box 1

Annual HMC Breakfast - programs. 1940-1979.

Extent: 4 folders
Box 1

Articles of incorporation and by-laws. 1939-1967.

Box 1

Financial documents. 1961-1968.

Box 2

Annual HMC Breakfast - programs. 1980-1987.

Box 2

Annual HMC Breakfast - programs for Tenth (10th) and Twenty-fifth (25th) anniversaries. 1934; 1949.

Box 2

Guest book. 1933-1956.

Box 2

Laughlin Residential Suites. 1949-1981.

Box 2

Levering House. 1958-1959.

Box 2

Scholarship. 1950-1986.

Box 2

Song book. "H.M.C. Songs." n.d.

Box 2

UCLA Magazine. "Helen Matthewson Laughlin." 1940 Apr.