George White Marston (1850-1946) arrived in San Diego in 1870. After working as a hotel clerk at the Horton House, Marston
joined the mercantile firm at A. Pauly and Sons in 1871. Then in 1872, he took a job clerking for storekeeper John Nash. Five
years later, Marston partnered with Charles Hamilton and bought the business from Nash. The association with Hamilton lasted
until 1878, when Marston opened a clothing store at 5th and D streets. The store continued to grow, and in 1912 was incorporated
as the Marston Company, which served as San Diego’s premier department store.