Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to Rest Haven Preventorium for Children Papers MS 6
MS 6  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (57.22 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection contains materials related to Rest Haven Preventorium and its administrative processes from 1910 through 1971.
Background
In 1907, the San Diego County Medical Society voted to cooperate with a California Tuberculosis Association in forming a local organization for combating the threat of tuberculosis. This San Diego Tuberculosis Association ( San Diego Society for the Study and Prevention of Tuberculosis) was incorporated in 1910. In its early years the Association administered several programs in its local fight against the “White Plague”, including the establishment of an open-air sanatorium in the Lemon Villa area and a cooperative program with the Army during the first World War for treatment of ailing servicemen stationed locally. The open-air camp, called Rest Haven Preventorium, became the focus of the Association’s activities beginning in the 1920s, as emphasis shifted from adult patients to the exclusive treatment of children. Rest Haven maintained its commitment to children through the expansion of the camp, annual Christmas Seal drives, and charity events. In the early 1950s Rest Haven relinquished operation of its facilities and became a foundation dedicated to the welfare of San Diego’s children.
Extent
11.25 Linear feet (12 boxes)
Restrictions
The San Diego History Center (SDHC) holds the copyright to any unpublished materials. SDHC Library regulations do apply.
Availability
This collection is open for research.