William Squire Clark came to California in 1846, fought in the Mexican War, was a member of San Francisco’s first Town Council,
and built the first public wharf on the waterfront. He purchased much real estate in San Francisco, including this lot.
Pierre B. Cornwall bought the former William H. Ranlett property on Russian Hill in 1860, a portion of 50 vara lot 810, and
sold to Samuel Theller in 1863. Theller remained there until selling in 1886. By 1894, the lot had been divided, and owners
included Edwin R. Pease, Spencer C. Browne, E. J. Polk, and Dora Williams. The property is currently described as a portion
of assessment block no. 150A (old block number 212.)
The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours, with photographs available during Photo Desk
hours. Collections that are stored offsite should be requested 48 hours in advance.