Oral history interview transcripts and recordings of former students and teachers at Polytechnic High School in San Francisco,
together with a few videocassettes, research notes, and ephemera about the school, collected by Dolores M. Robinson, historian
for the Poly Alumni Assocation.
Polytechnic High School was one of the first high schools in San Francisco when it was started in the 1890s as Commercial
High School. Its emphasis was on the mechanical arts, engineering, and science. The 1906 earthquake and fire destroyed the
1905 plans for a new school building on land purchased by the City at Frederick and Arguello in the Haight Ashbury neighborhood.
A few years after the earthquake, a bond measure was passed to build the school; classes were held in earthquake shacks as
the new buildings were under construction.
1 manuscript box, 1 audiocassette box
(0.8 linear feet)
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours, with photographs available during Photo Desk
hours. Collections that are stored offsite should be requested 48 hours in advance.