Finding Aid for the Charles Moore drawings and model, circa 1969-circa 1993 0000205
Finding aid prepared by Chris Marino
Architecture and Design Collection, Art, Design & Architecture Museum
Arts Building Room 1434
University of California
Santa Barbara, California, 93106-7130
Title: Charles Moore drawings and model
Identifier/Call Number: 0000205
Contributing Institution: Architecture and Design Collection, Art, Design & Architecture Museum
Language of Material: English
Physical Description: 6.0 Linear feet (1 flat file drawer and 1 model)
Date (inclusive): circa 1969-circa 1993
creator: Moore, Charles Willard, 1925-1993
creator: Urban Innovations Group.
Partially processed collection, open for use by qualified researchers.
Gift of Robin Danaldson III AIA, 2009. Additional materials gifted by Mr. Charles Millard, 2010.
Charles Moore and Urban Innovations Group drawings and model, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.
Charles Moore was born on October 31, 1925 in Benton Harbor, Michigan. He studied architecture at the University of Michigan from 1942 to 1947. Moore went on to Princeton where he studied from 1954 to 1957, earning his M.F.A and eventually his Ph.D. From 1957 to 1959 Moore worked as an assistant professor at Princeton University, and then as an Associate Professor at the University of California, Berkeley from 1959 to 1965, when he was selected to chair the architecture department, a position he held until 1969. From 1969 to 1975, Moore worked as a professor of architecture at Yale until he left to teach at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), a position he held from 1975 to 1987. Moore left UCLA for a position at the University of Texas, Austin. Over the course of his career Moore completed 180 commissions. His more notable projects include: Sea Ranch, the University of California, Santa Barbara Faculty Club, and the design of the Kresge College at the University of California at Santa Cruz.
The Urban Innovations Group or UGI was founded in 1971 by the UCLA Department of Architecture’s late Dean, Harvey Perloff. UGI was an active architectural practice which allowed architecture students to gain practical work experience through internships. In 1974, when Charles Moore joined the faculty at UCLA he expanded the scope of the practice by bringing major commissions to the firm including but not limited to: Piazza d'Italia, Beverly Hills Civic Center, Oceanside Civic Center, and the Los Angeles Bunker Hill masterplan. In 1993 the Urban Innovations Group ended its operations.
The Charles Moore drawings and model span 6 linear feet and date from circa 1969 to circa 1993. The collection consists of one flat file drawer of architectural drawings of projects done by Charles Moore independently as well as projects Moore did in association with other firms (namely MLTW and the Urban Innovations Group). Projects include: Charles Millard House in Ojai; the Beverly Hills Civic Center which Moore designed in association with Albert Martin; the Psychoanalytic Associates building which Moore designed while he was a partner in the MLTW firm (which consisted of Charles Moore, Donlyn Lyndon, William Turnbull, and Richard Whitaker); as well as drawings for the following projects Moore executed in association with the Urban Innovations Group: the Abel residence, the Selby Avenue condominiums, and the Heady residence. The collection also includes a model of the University of California, Santa Barbara Faculty Club which was designed by Moore and completed in 1968.
Urban Innovations Group Archive, Charles Moore Foundation in Austin Texas.
ADC Study Collection, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
Moore, Charles Willard, 1925-1993
Urban Innovations Group.