Guide to the Pastime Gun Club Records MS 251
Finding aid prepared by Jody ValenteCollection processed as part of grant project supported by the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) with generous funding from The Andrew Mellon Foundation.
San Diego History Center Document CollectionFebruary 2, 2012
1649 El Prado, Suite 3
San Diego, CA, 92101
Title: Pastime Gun Club Records
Identifier/Call Number: MS 251
Contributing Institution: San Diego History Center Document Collection
Language of Material: English
Physical Description: 0.5 Linear feet (1 box)
Date (inclusive): 1893 March 9–1915 January 11
Abstract: The collection contains one ledger pertaining to the activities of the Pastime Gun Club from March 9, 1893 to January 11, 1915.
creator: Pastime Gun Club.
This collection is open for research.
The San Diego History Center (SDHC) holds the copyright to any unpublished materials. SDHC Library regulations do apply.
Collection processed by Jody Valente on February 2, 2012.
Collection processed as part of grant project supported by the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) with generous funding from The Andrew Mellon Foundation.
Pastime Gun Club Records, MS 251, San Diego History Center Document Collection, San Diego, CA.
The Pastime Gun Club was formed in March 1893 and was organized primarily for trapshooting. H.E. Doolittle and Charley Julian served as Club Presidents for much of the Club’s existence. The Club did not include teams, but consisted of individuals who competed, with several making a profit through competitions. In June 1893, the Pastime Gun Club obtained approval from the City of San Diego to use one acre of City Park (now Balboa Park) for a trapshooting range. The Club also held target practice at Mission Cliff Gardens and in Old Town. In December 1904, the City Council was petitioned to remove rifle ranges from Balboa Park due to safety and noise issues. The Pastime Gun Club removed their target practice from Balboa Park in 1904-05. The Pastime Gun Club disbanded around 1918.
The binding is taped with some pages partially or completely detached. Some pages in the back of the ledger are missing. (February 2, 2012)
The collection includes one ledger that primarily documents meeting minutes for the Pastime Gun Club. Also recorded are the Club’s constitution and bylaws, treasurer’s reports, finances, existing and prospective club members, and information related to the annual tournament. Details on the Club’s activities are recorded, with meeting minutes including information such as appointed members and information regarding the Blue Rocks tournament (also referred to as the Blue Rox tournament). Meeting minutes are typically recorded one to five times annually. On April 10, 1913, meeting minutes change from being handwritten to typed. The typed pages appear to be glued into the ledger.
The ledgers contents are arranged chronologically.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
Doolittle, H. E.
Pastime Gun Club.
Balboa Park (San Diego, Calif.)
Mission Cliff Gardens (San Diego, Calif.)
Old Town (San Diego, Calif.)
San Diego (Calif.)
Club ledger, 1893 March 9–1915 January 11
Documents meeting minutes, constitution and by-laws, revenues and expenditures, and membership logs.
Notes original club members, which included J.B. Badgley as the first chairman. (Page 1)
March 9, 1893: The first meeting of the Pastime Gun Club is held and monthly dues are $.50. (Page 3) April 28: Saturday is deemed the regular day for club shooting. (Page 5)
May 14: New members to pay initiation fee of $2.00. (Page 9)
February 28, 1896: Three resolutions are recorded. Membership fees are included in resolution one and Blue Rocks is mentioned in resolution. Price of birds to be 1 cent for members, 2 cents for nonmembers. (Pages 10-12)
March 27, 1896: The Constitution and Bylaws for the Pastime Gun Club are documented. The Club’s purpose is included under article two: To bring together for mutual pleasure and profit the sportsmen of San Diego, California. (Page 15)
April 13, 1898: Meeting minutes document nomination of officers for the upcoming year. (Page 29)
March 11, 1904: “Grounds have been secured from Mr. Clayton, Manager SDERR near the Mission Cliff Park.” [possibly a reference to William Clayton who served as the operating manager of the San Diego Electric Railway Company] (Page 35)
April 11, 1906: Prospective and current club members are listed. (Pages 54-55)
March 13, 1912: List of committees and committee members are recorded. Committees include: tournament, advertising and programs, finance, refreshment and transportation, and guns and ammunition. (Pages 68-69)
February 26, 1913: Nominations to office are recorded. (Pages 99-100)
April 10, 1913: The Panama California Exposition Company donated a silver loving cup to be competed for. (Page 105)
October 3, 1913: Congressman Kettner and Senator Works are to be contacted to secure more favorable game laws. (Pages 108-109)
Undated: Names and addresses recorded. (Pages 139-142)
List of names recorded. (Pages 149-152)