The current Classics Department at UCLA originates from a small department called "Classical Languages," formed in 1919 at
the inception of UCLA and consisting of the professor and six classes. In 1922, a second professor joined the department and
classes in Ancient Greek were added to the curriculum. By 1965, the faculty numbered 12 members responsible for courses in
Latin and Greek and another six members responsible for Indo-European studies (Hungarian, Finnish, Celtic, Irish, and the
ancient languages of Sanskrit and Hittite), and the department has instituted programs leading to the master and doctoral
Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University
Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish
or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.