Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid to the Amador Mining Company records, 1866-1886 (bulk 1867-1872)
BANC MSS C-G 129  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (63.48 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Records of the Amador Mining Company of Amador County, California, including administrative records, correspondence, and financial records dating mostly from 1867 to 1872.
Background
The Amador Mining Company was incorporated in October of 1867 to operate what was then called the Hayward Mine in Sutter Creek, Amador County. Over the years the property would also be known as the Old Eureka, the Amador Consolidated, and the Hetty Green. The Hayward Mine, developed and worked from around 1854 to 1867 by Alvinza Hayward, who would become one of California's most successful mining millionaires, was the product of the amalgamation of two mine properties: the Eureka Mine and the Badger Mine. When the Amador Mining Company assumed operations of the Hayward Mine in October of 1867, the property consisted of 36 acres upon which were situated the mines themselves, two mills (the Eureka Mill and the Badger Mill), a blacksmith's shop, coal houses, a powder magazine, a lumber yard, and boarding houses for the mine employees. Original trustees of the Amador Mining Company included Alvinza Hayward, L.A. Garnett, F. Sanderland, A.H. Rose, and S.F. Butterworth. The mine was one of the most profitable mines in the Sutter Creek region. In 1870, the Maxwell Mine (also known as the Wolverine Mine) also came under Amador Mining Company ownership. In 1872, ownership of the mine was transferred from the Amador Mining Company to an English company called the Consolidated Amador Mining Company, which was formed by Edward H. Green, husband of infamous American businesswoman Hetty Green. The mine closed down operations in 1886. Hetty Green, who assumed ownership of the mine after her husband's death, refused to operate or sell the property until 1916, when she finally sold out to a reconstituted Consolidated Amador Mining Company.
Extent
Number of containers: 5 cartons, 8 oversize boxes, 12 volumes, 1 box, 1 oversize folder (Linear feet: 21.2)
Restrictions
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-6000. Consent is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner. See: http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/reference/permissions.html.
Availability
Collection is open for research.