The Hollywood Museum collection spans the years 1899-1970 (bulk 1910s-1950s) and encompasses 147
linear feet. The collection contains a wide variety of material donated to the Hollywood Museum between
1960 and 1967, including clippings, scrapbooks, photograph albums, programs, casting directories,
catalogs, books, magazines, and scripts. In addition, there is a small amount of correspondence, lobby
cards, posters, costume design drawings, artifacts, and sheet music. Those individuals represented by
more extensive papers include technical director Rudolph Bylek, writer Myrtle Gebhart, producer David
Horsley, and producer Jesse L. Lasky. There are 150 scrapbooks, including those of director Herbert
Brenon, Rudolph Bylek, Myrtle Gebhart, director Henry King, producer Carl Laemmle Sr., producer Carl
Laemmle Jr., Jesse L. Lasky, actor Robert Emmett O'Connor, director Sidney Olcott, and actor Charles Ray.
There are more than 60 photograph albums, including those of producer Fred Balshofer, actor James Carewe,
cinematographer Philip duBois, actor Boyd Irwin, makeup artist Harry Ross, actor Tom Santschi, and
actress Evelyn Selbie. The photograph series consists of more than 60,000 photographs.
The Hollywood Motion Picture and Television Museum, commonly known as the Hollywood Museum, was
planned from 1960 to 1965 but was never built. In the 1980s the research material was distributed among
the American Film Institute, the University of Southern California, the University of California at Los
Angeles, and the Academy.
Property rights to the physical object belong to the Margaret Herrick Library. Researchers are
responsible for obtaining all necessary rights, licenses, or permissions from the appropriate companies
or individuals before quoting from or publishing materials obtained from the library.