The Strong Museum Collection contains piano, organ, player piano, and player organ patents in bound volumes from the Aeolian,
Amphion, and Mason & Hamlin companies. These date from circa 1825 to 1926 and are organized by dates and alphabetical indexes.
Also included is 1 envelope entitled 'Aeolian American Action'; undated.
The Aeolian company, founded in 1887 by William Tremaine, was a manufacturer of player organs and pianos.
Mason & Hamlin, based in Haverhill, Massachusetts, is a piano manufacturer that was founded in 1854 by Henry Mason and Emmons
The Strong is an educational museum in Rochester, New York. The museum’s name has slowly evolved from the Margaret Woodbury
Strong Museum to the Strong Museum to the Strong National Museum of Play and finally The Strong.
22 records storage boxes (22 linear feet), including 129 bound volumes and 1 folder
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the
Head Librarian, Archive of Recorded Sound, Braun Music Center, Stanford, California 94305. Consent is given on behalf of the
Archive of Recorded Sound as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright
owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns.
Open for research; material must be requested at least two business days in advance of intended use. Contact the Archive of
Recorded Sound for assistance. Some of the bound volumes are fragile and may require special care during handling.