Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Fannie Wall Children’s Home and Day Nursery, Inc. Records
MS 162  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (79.91 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Established in Oakland, California on November 20, 1918 by the Northern Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs, the Fannie Wall Children’s Home and Day Nursery, Inc. was created to “care for homeless, dependent, neglected children from broken homes, and to provide day care for children of working parents.” The Fannie Wall Children’s Home and Day Nursery, Inc. Records consist of correspondence, reports, meeting and fundraising programs, and newspaper clippings that document the management of the children’s home.
Background
Established in Oakland, California on November 20, 1918 by the Northern Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs, the Fannie Wall Children’s Home and Day Nursery, Inc. was created to care for homeless, dependent, neglected children from broken homes, and to provide day care for children of working parents. The home was located at 1215 Peralta St. in West Oakland from 1918-1928 before moving to a larger facility at 815 Linden St. where it would remain until 1962. The home could accommodate up to 20 resident children and 8-15 children for day care services and was operated by a professional staff of over ten employees that included social workers and a volunteer psychiatrist. The home was managed by a Board of Directors, which largely consisted of members of the Northern Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs, a community advisory committee, and an executive director who oversaw the home’s day-to-day operations. The home received funding from a variety of sources including rent from an apartment in Berkeley donated by Josephine Sutton, Community Chest, the Dreiser Trust, and through fundraising events coordinated by the home. In 1962 the Oakland Redevelopment Agency purchased the property at 815 Linden St. in order to demolish the building for the Acorn Project. The home moved to its current location at 647 55th St. but initially struggled to obtain a license from the Social Welfare Department, and the home was not re-opened until 1967 as part of a placement program for the Alameda County Welfare Department. The home was forced to close again in 1970 for remodeling and reopened in 1978 as a child daycare facility and Head Start Center.
Extent
.25 linear feet (1 box)
Restrictions
Permission to publish from the Fannie Wall Children’s Home and Day Nursery, Inc. Records must be obtained from the African American Museum and Library at Oakland.
Availability
No access restrictions. Collection is open to the public.