The University of Southern California's music school was officially established in 1884, and conferred its first degrees in
1885. The records document many of the activities of the School from the late 19th to the early 21st centuries. Included
are the papers (generally incomplete) of some of the School's notable personnel, including Max Swarthout, Raymond Kendall,
Ellis Kohs, Pauline Alderman, and Walter F. Skeele; records of academic activities; records of student and alumni organizations,
including Phi Phi and the Friends of Music; and scrapbooks of press clippings and press releases.
Music has had a strong presence at USC since the opening of the University in 1880, with music courses included in the first
curriculum of the College of Liberal Arts. The USC Thornton School of Music was founded as the Conservatory of Music in 1884,
at which students could only study either voice or piano, and a year later in 1885 it became the College of Music.
90.05 Linear Feet
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian.
Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended
to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. Advance notice required for access.