Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
California State University, East Bay, University Libraries records
Consult repository  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (53.39 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Biography/Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: California State University, East Bay, University Libraries records
    Dates: 1957-2012
    Collection Number: Consult repository
    Creator/Collector: California State University, East Bay. University Libraries
    Extent: 24.15 cubic feet
    Online items available
    Repository: California State University, East Bay University Archives
    Abstract: With physical library buildings on the Hayward Hills and Concord campuses as well as a robust online presence, the University Libraries support the teaching and research missions of the University’s students, faculty, and staff. The collection contains records of the beginnings of the library in 1957 with the founding of the university, construction of the library buildings, exhibits, library publications, reports, and committee minutes.
    Language of Material: English

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Preferred Citation

    California State University, East Bay, University Libraries records. California State University, East Bay University Archives

    Biography/Administrative History

    The library’s inception coincided with the founding of the university in 1957 and the first library director was Floyd Erickson, for whom the Special Collections Room is named. In 1966, the Friends of the Library was established. The construction of a separate library building on the Hayward Hills campus occurred from 1966 to 1971. In 1972, the current library building opened its doors. The library on the Concord campus was dedicated in 1990. The University Libraries continue to serve university communities and general public through reference, instruction, and collection development work, along with providing exhibits which relate the University Libraries’ holdings to various local, national, and international events and commemorations.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    The records of the University Libraries span the founding of the library along with the university in 1957 to its present operations on the Hayward Hills and Concord campuses. Included are records documenting the daily work of the library faculty and staff, including reports and committee meeting minutes along with materials on library exhibits and events. Also included are library publications such as newsletters, handouts, workbooks, and various instructional guides. These records include: textual documents, audio-visual materials, photographic prints, negatives, and slides, and blueprints.