With physical library buildings on the Hayward Hills and Concord campuses as well as a robust online presence, the University
Libraries support the teaching and research missions of the University’s students, faculty, and staff. The collection contains
records of the beginnings of the library in 1957 with the founding of the university, construction of the library buildings,
exhibits, library publications, reports, and committee minutes.
The library’s inception coincided with the founding of the university in 1957 and the first library director was Floyd Erickson,
for whom the Special Collections Room is named. In 1966, the Friends of the Library was established. The construction of a
separate library building on the Hayward Hills campus occurred from 1966 to 1971. In 1972, the current library building opened
its doors. The library on the Concord campus was dedicated in 1990. The University Libraries continue to serve university
communities and general public through reference, instruction, and collection development work, along with providing exhibits
which relate the University Libraries’ holdings to various local, national, and international events and commemorations.
Collection is open for research.