In 1930, after a joint goodwill tour by women’s organizations in America and Cuba, the Pan American League International was
formed for the purpose of promoting friendship across the borders of the American continents. The Pan American League of San
Diego was non-political, non-sectarian, and non-commercial, and its purpose (as stated in its Articles of Incorporation) was
“the promotion of friendship and better understanding through education and cultural channels and activities between the peoples
of the United States and the other Pan American Nations.” In 1936, following her return from Washington D.C. where she had
become interested in Pan-American affairs, Mrs. Mary B. Steyle organized a branch of the League in San Diego. Toward this
end, the San Diego branch sponsored several events and helped many Latin-American students through its scholarship program.