Scope and Content
Title: School of Engineering and Applied Science. Dean. Administrative Files.
Identifier/Call Number: University Archives Record Series 54
UCLA Library Special Collections
Language of Material:
1.7 linear ft.
Record Series 54 contains administrative files of the deans of the UCLA School of Engineering and Applied Sciences from 1967
to 1981. Files include academic plans, faculty directories, and other materials from Chauncey Starr, C. Martin Duke, and Russell
School of Engineering and Applied Science.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special
Collections Reference Desk for paging information.
Copyright of portions of this collection is held by The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University Archives
can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or quote
must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.
[Identification of item], School of Engineering and Applied Science. Dean. Administrative Files (University Archives Record
Series 54). UCLA Library Special Collections, University Archives.
Founding dean Llewellyn M.K. Boelter (1898-1966) organized the College of Engineering on the Los Angeles campus beginning
in 1944, and led the college until his retirement in the summer of 1965. The formation of the College grew out of the University's
wartime training program in engineering science and management. Dean Boelter adopted a new concept in engineering education
by establishing a single undergraduate curriculum, with an emphasis on the fundamentals common to all engineers.
In 1968 the College of Engineering was renamed the School of Engineering, and was later renamed again in 2000 as the Henry
Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science, after a generous donation was given to the school by UCLA professor and
alumnus, Henry Samueli and his wife, Susan.
Scope and Content
Record Series 54 contains materials of the deans of the UCLA School of Engineering and Applied Sciences spanning a fourteen-year
period from 1967 to 1981. This time was one of important changes for the program which transitioned from the College of Engineering
into the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences in 1969 and formed seven individual departments. Roughly one-third of
the papers date from the transitional period 1969-1971 and relate to academic plans for the newly formed departments. In addition
there are 1973 faculty directories for each of the departments. The remainder of the materials focus on Chairs and Deans'
Retreats from 1978-1981, Faculty Conferences from 1967-68 and 1974, and Engineers Council for Professional Development from
1968-69 and 1974-75 as well as a Self-Review of Graduate programs from 1974. The School was under the leadership of two deans
during this period; Chauncey Starr left the position in 1973 and was succeed by Russell R. O'Neill. C. Martin Duke served
as acting Dean for Academic Year 1974-75.
This is an active Record Series; additional University records are expected to be added.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
Duke, Charles Martin 1917 -
Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science (UCLA)
O'Neill, Russell R.
University of California, Los Angeles |b School of Engineering and Applied Science |x Archival resources.
University of California, Los Angeles. College of Engineering.
University of California, Los Angeles. School of Engineering and Applied Science.