The Spring Valley Mining and Irrigation Company was founded in 1875 as a result of the consolidation of earlier companies
and mining claims. Hydraulic mining was carried on by the company until 1887. A. W. Mellon of Pittsburgh bought the company
in 1900 and changed the name to Cherokee Mining Company. Neither Mellor nor later owners were able to separate the mines successfully.
Included in the collection are deeds, mining claims and patents (1857-1891) correspondence (1884-1886, 1900-1901, no date)
a payroll and expense account book, (1887-1888), and two maps (1867, no date).
Spring Valley Ditch and Mining company was formed in 1862. Through land acquisitions and claim consolidations, Spring Valley
became one of the largest gold mining companies at Cherokee. These changes in ownership of individual and corporate claims
intertwine the history of the Spring Valley Mining and Irrigating Company with that of the other companies and of the area