Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Reseda Woman's Club Collection, 1918-2001
URB/RWC  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (104.06 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview of the Collection
  • Historical Note:
  • Access Terms
  • Administrative Information
  • Arrangement of Materials:
  • Scope and Contents

  • Overview of the Collection

    Collection Title: Reseda Woman's Club Collection
    Dates: 1918-2001
    Identification: URB/RWC
    Creator: Reseda Woman’s Club (Reseda, Los Angeles, Calif.)
    Physical Description: 3.75 linear feet
    Language of Materials: English
    Repository: Urban Archives
    Abstract: The Reseda Woman's Club was formed in 1918 when a group of nineteen women gathered at Marian Elementary School to organize the Mother's Club of Marian. In 1922, the town of Marian was renamed Reseda, at which time the club changed its name to the Reseda Woman's Club. The collection documents the Reseda Woman's Club from its founding to the present time.

    Historical Note:

    The Reseda Woman's Club was formed in 1918 when a group of nineteen women gathered at Marian Elementary School to organize the Mother's Club of Marian. Mrs. Martha McClure, principal of the school and club initiator, was elected the first president. In 1922 the town of Marian was renamed Reseda, at which time the club changed its name to the Reseda Woman's Club. The society was incorporated into the California Federation of Women's Clubs (CFWC) in January 1923, and became one of 33 members of the Sierra-Cahuenga District, affiliated with CFWC. Founded in 1950, the Reseda Junior Woman's Club, for young women aged 18-35 residing in Reseda and vicinity, was dissolved in 1970.
    Taking "service" as its motto, the Reseda Woman's Club began as a philanthropic group devoted to a variety of charitable activities. By sponsoring a host of community projects, the Club raised funds to help the elderly, the handicapped, children, veterans, and students. Organizations supported by the Club included the Fatherless Children of France, American Legion, American Red Cross Los Angeles Chapter, and San Fernando Valley State College (now California State University, Northridge).
    The Reseda Woman's Club was also active in a number of social events including the Los Angeles County Fair, the annual Flower Show of the San Fernando Valley Horticultural Society, the Armistice Day Parade, and the crusade to drive gambling rings out of Reseda. Outstanding achievements of the Club were commended at the conventions of the California Federation of Women's Clubs.

    Access Terms

    This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

    Corporate Name:

    California Federation of Women's Clubs
    Reseda Woman's Club (Reseda, Los Angeles, Calif.)

    Genre/Form of Material:

    Paper records
    Scrapbooks

    Geographic Name:

    San Fernando Valley (Calif.) -- History

    Administrative Information

    Accruals:

    2002

    Processing Information:

    Robert G. Marshall and Xinoquan Han, 1988

    Conditions Governing Use:

    Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection has not been transferred to California State University, Northridge. Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

    Conditions Governing Access:

    The collection is open for research use.

    Preferred Citation:

    [Identification of item], [date], Reseda Woman's Club Collection , Special Collections and Archives, Oviatt Library, California State University, Northridge.

    Arrangement of Materials:

    Series I: Administrative Records, 1924-1987
    Series II: Records of the Financial Secretary, 1954-1980
    Series III: Records of the Club Historian, 1918-1967
    Series IV: Non-Manuscript Material, 1953-1954

    Scope and Contents

    The records in this collection document the Reseda Woman's Club from its founding to the present, including its administrative work and the accomplishments of its many committees. The achievements of the Club are spotlighted in the collection through award certificates and newspaper clippings. The collection has been divided into four major series: Administrative Records (1918-1987), Records of the Financial Secretary (1954-1980), Records of the Club Historian (1918-1967), and Non-Manuscript Material (1953-1954).
    Series I, Administrative Records, consists primarily of the Club’s bound minute books and yearbooks. Included are the constitution, by-laws, board of directors and general membership, calendars of club affairs, committee assignments, and subsidiary departments, as well as copies of the magazines published by the California Federation of Women's Clubs and the General Federation of Women's Clubs. The files are arranged alphabetically by subject and chronologically within.
    Series II, Records of the Financial Secretary, consists of ledger sheets from the Club's financial secretary. Documented in each volume are deposits, revolving funds, membership dues and various expenses ranging from rentals, luncheons, community services to donations. Ledger sheets are filed in chronological order.
    Series III, Records of the Club Historian, includes historical notebooks compiled annually by the Club Historian. The files are arranged in chronological order.
    Series IV, Non-Manuscript Material, consists of one scrapbook.