Scope and Contents
Title: Office of the Assistant Vice Chancellor, Facilities Design and Construction Camp Matthews Buildings Photographs
Identifier/Call Number: RSS 4025
Mandeville Special Collections Library
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, California, 92093-0175
Language of Material:
1.2 Linear feet
(1 archives box and 1 oversize folder)
Date (inclusive): 1964 - 1967
The Camp Matthews buildings photographs, documented by Office of the Vice Chancellor, Facilities Design and Construction,
include black and white negatives and a selection of oversize prints taken after Camp Matthews closed operations in 1964 and
building modifications through 1967.
United States. Marine Corps. Camp Matthews.
Scope and Contents
The PHOTOGRAPHS series comprises approximately 44 black and white 2-1/4" negatives of Camp Matthews buildings between 1964-1967.
Additionally, a few of the negatives produced oversize prints.
Camp Matthews was established in 1918 as a U.S. Marine rifle range under the command of Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego.
It was called the Marine Rifle Range, La Jolla from 1918 until 1942, when it was renamed Camp Matthews after Brigadier General
Calvin B. Matthews. The University's initial plans for Camp Matthews area included the use of permanent buildings as temporary
administrative offices and the construction on the site of the new School of Medicine. The Office of Architects and Engineers
coordinated the work on the first building in 1965. Campus administrative offices, principally housed in Building B of First
College, moved to the Matthews area in 1965, except for the Office of the Chancellor.
The Office of Architects and Engineers was responsible for the overall coordination of the building program from the time
a project is assigned a priority in the University's statewide building program to the time it is completed and equipped.
The office opened in 1957 under the direction of J.W.Tippetts, Building Program Coordinator and head of the department. He
was replaced by Mac Alfred Cason, Chief Architect for Los Angeles County in 1960, as Chief Campus Architect.
Beginning in the mid-1970s with the reorganization of campus planning and building, the Office of Architects and Engineers
was absorbed into Facilities Design & Construction unit and overal campus planning. The Facilities Design and Construction
office is the primary service provider charged with the implementation of the Capital Improvement Program including project
programming, planning, schematic design, design development, construction documents, and construction administration for all
Office of the Assistant Vice Chancellor Facilities Design and Construction Camp Matthews buildings photographs, RSS 4025.
Mandeville Special Collections Library, UCSD.
Publication rights are held by the creator of the collection.
This collection has been digitized and can be viewed through links in the container list.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
University of California, San Diego--History.