Camp Matthews was established in 1918 as a U.S. Marine rifle range under the command of Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego.
It was called the Marine Rifle Range, La Jolla from 1918 until 1942, when it was renamed Camp Matthews after Brigadier General
Calvin B. Matthews. In 1964 the Camp Matthews land was transferred to the University of California. The University's initial
plans for Camp Matthews area included the use of permanent buildings as temporary administrative offices and the construction
on the site of the new School of Medicine. The Office of Architects and Engineers coordinated the work on the first building
in 1965. Campus administrative offices, principally housed in Building B of First College, moved to the Matthews area in 1965,
except for the Office of the Chancellor.