Finding aid to the Edgewood Records 1851-1959 SFH 29

Finding aid prepared by Pennington Ahlstrand, with help from Barb Heddy, Stacia Fink and Mary Gentry in 2001. Revised by Wendy Kramer in 2012.
San Francisco History Center, San Francisco Public Library
100 Larkin Street
San Francisco, CA, 94102
(415) 557-4567
info@sfpl.org
2003


Title: Edgewood Records
Date (inclusive): 1851-1959
Collection Identifier: SFH 29
Creator: Edgewood (San Francisco, Calif. : Orphanage).
Physical Description: 8 cartons, 33 boxes, 12 flat boxes (approx. 30.0 linear feet)
Contributing Institution: San Francisco History Center, San Francisco Public Library
100 Larkin Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 557-4567
info@sfpl.org
Abstract: Annual reports, board minutes, admission and discharge records, indenture and adoption files, correspondence, administrative and financial records, property and maintenance records, and photographs of children, staff, buildings, activities, and events for the San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum, which became Edgewood. The collection also includes some annual reports and a small amount of ephemera from the San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children that were acquired by Edgewood.
Physical Location: The collection is stored offsite.
Language of Materials: Collection materials are in English.

Access

The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours, with photographs available during Photo Desk hours. Collections that are stored offsite should be requested 48 hours in advance.

Publication Rights

All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Edgewood Records (SFH 29), San Francisco History Center, San Francisco Public Library.

Provenance

Gift; from Edgewood Center for Children and Families, Sept. 20, 2003.

Related Archival Materials at Other Institutions

Related archival materials at other institutions include: photographs of some of the early Managers at the California Historical Society; and photographs of early orphanages at the Society of California Pioneers.

Related Archival Materials at San Francisco History Center

Related files in the San Francisco History Center may be found in the San Francisco Ephemera Collection under "SF Buildings. Edgewood Orphanage." Some annual reports of San Francisco orphan societies are available in the San Francisco History Stacks, searchable in the library's online catalog.

Materials Transferred

Photographs have been transferred to the San Francisco Historical Photograph Collection.

Processing Information note

Collection processed by Pennington Ahlstrand, with help from Barb Heddy, Stacia Fink and Mary Gentry. Completed May 2001.

Organizational History

Edgewood, currently known as Edgewood Center for Children and Families, was the first children's services agency in San Francisco. Founded by the San Francisco Orphan Asylum Society in 1851 as the San Francisco Orphan Asylum (SFOA), it has undergone many name changes and several alterations in mission and function over the years. In 1862, in order to distinguish it from other agencies then in existence, its name was changed to San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum (SFPOA). In 1944, encouraged by popular parlance of the children, the name was officially changed to Edgewood. Over the years, the institution evolved from being an orphanage to a home additionally serving children and adolescents with problem family situations; and in 1951, it became a residential treatment program for teenagers. In subsequent years outside of the scope of this collection, Edgewood has also provided day treatment, educational services, and services to children and adults with learning disabilities. It has occupied several sites and campuses throughout the city.
San Francisco Orphan Asylum (SFOA) was founded in 1851 to help a group of siblings orphaned by cholera en route to San Francisco, probably from Australia. The Reverend Albert Williams and his wife hosted meetings in late January and early February of 1851 at the 1st Presbyterian Church. The ladies who attended the meetings agreed to found the San Francisco Orphan Asylum Society. Although the originating meetings were held at the Presbyterian Church, the orphanage was never affiliated with any specific denomination. ln 1854, the motto "Feed My Lambs" was adopted and incorporated into the official seal of the Society, which was used until 1920.
The Board of Managers of the SFOA were all women until 1958, and the first elected Managers were Mrs. A. Williams, Mrs. S.H. Will(e)y, Mrs. Emily A. Warren, Mrs. Harriet Boring, Mrs. Elizabeth A. Waller, Mrs. C.V. Gillespie, Mrs. Dub(b)s, Mrs. Taylor, Mrs. Joyce and Mrs. O.C. Wheeler. Many other women attended meetings and served on committees for the Society. For legal reasons, the Managers appointed three gentlemen to hold property in trust for the SFOA, and the first Trustees were Charles Gilman, Stephen Franklin and Daniel L. Ross. The first matron was Mrs. Wilson, and Dr. Coit was the on-call physician.
On March 12, 1851, nine children moved into the orphanage's first home, a prefabricated cottage in Happy Valley. The cottage had been imported from Boston by Mr. W.D.M. Howard and the "family" lived there rent-free for three months. The children ranged in age from 3 to 12 years. Elizabeth Dodds, Agnes Dodds, Charles Dodds and Henry Bacon were siblings, as were Robert & Eliza Plumbridge and Margaret, Patrick & Agnes Ward. (Spelling of names varied from document to document.) More children were admitted to the orphanage within days as the Managers visited assigned areas of the City, inquiring about children in need of aid. Most of the children were not actually orphans. Many were half-orphans (one parent was deceased), and in later years, they were children of "broken homes" or other problem family situations. By 1852, there were 26 children in the orphanage and the family clearly needed a new, larger home, so they moved a short distance to a house owned by General Halleck in Pleasant Valley. General Halleck refused to accept rent for the use of the home.
The Board of Managers heard about land in San Francisco that was available through public auction. For $100, they purchased property considered to be far beyond the City limits and basically in the middle of nowhere. Within a few years, the City grew up around the orphanage, which was located on a two-block lot bounded by Haight, Buchanan, Hermann and Laguna Streets. (In 2001, this site was occupied by the University of California Extension building and campus.) Legend has it that Haight and Waller Streets are named for Mrs. Haight and Mrs. Waller, both prominent San Franciscans who served on the SFOA Board of Managers for a time. The orphanage would be located on Haight Street from 1854 to 1919.
The Managers funded the purchase of this property and the intial construction of the building by canvassing door-to-door throughout San Francisco, sometimes collecting up to $1000 per day. The Managers had to borrow $5000 at 10% interest to complete construction of the building. On March 22, 1854, the children moved from Pleasant Valley to the new building, "located near Mission Dolores." It was a two-story dormitory-style building built of stone quarried from the site of the old Mint and carted free of charge by the Spring Valley Water Company. In addition to the children, the residents included a matron (and sometimes her husband and children), a nurse and a teacher. As the number of residents grew, so too would the number of staff. The children were schooled at the orphanage from 1854 to 1897. Before and after this period, they attended local public schools.
When the Society was first founded, the Managers raised awareness by placing an article in the Alta California and raised money for operating expenses by requesting donations from local Protestant churches, encouraging regular "subscription" donations and requesting board for half-orphans when the parent or friends of a child could afford it. An August 1852 meeting of the Managers reports a charity concert by Signora Biscaccianti, probably at the Jenny Lind Theatre. The Managers were very concerned with propriety and would refuse money raised in inappropriate ways, such as through the purchase of raffle tickets. As the reputation of the orphanage grew, community leaders and clergy from other areas (Nevada, Sacramento), would ask the Managers to admit children from their region. The Managers refused "without some appropriation being made for their support." Managers discontinued requesting money from San Francisco citizens, relying instead on government funding, in-kind donations and bequests.
Finally, in 1855, SFOA received a grant of $5000 from the State of California to help with the expenses of the children, who were often wards of the State. In 1860, SFOA received another $6000 from the State, and this money was used to enlarge the building. In 1862, the SFOA re-incorporated and changed its name to San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum (SFPOA) to distinguish it from other children's agencies that were in existence. In 1861, SFPOA had received the title to a building and the lot on Montgomery between Jackson and Pacific Streets. The building had served as the Sansome Hook & Ladder Company, and the lot was owned by James Lick. The building and lot were sold to raise money, and the resulting funds were used to construct what became known as the "Sansome" wing of the orphanage in 1863.
In 1865, the Managers noted that very few of the children living at SFPOA were actually from San Francisco. Because of this, the Managers continued their policy of not soliciting donations from the local populace and continued requesting funds from the State. While the Managers refused to actively request money from the people of San Francisco after the home on Haight Street was built, they did continue to accept "subscriptions" -- a regular annual donation -- and donations in many forms. Many of the names of people who contributed to SFPOA over the years are familiar still -- Levi Strauss, Eadweard Muybridge, H.H. Bancroft, Mrs. Stanford, Mrs. Crocker, Adolf Sutro, John McLaren, Bruce Porter, Spreckels, Milton Bradley, Mrs. Dean Witter, James Phelan, Gabriel Moulin, James Flood and Lillie H. Coit. The children who lived at SFPOA were fondly remembered by philanthropists and merchants alike. The children were given trips to the movies, circuses, the Mid-Winter Fair of 1893, the Pan-Pacific International Exposition of 1915, Mt. Tamalpais, Sutro Baths, the Chutes, a wide variety of concerts and other events. For decades, the children were allowed to ride the Muni streetcars and the merry-go-round at Golden Gate Park free of charge. By 1913, Mr. Scott Southwork came by once a week to give children rides in his motorcar.
The Managers were heavily involved in the lives of the children. A Visiting Committee regularly inspected the orphanage building and occupants, observing the children's health, manners, clothing, cleanliness, lessons and the methods used by Matrons and teachers in handling the children. When necessary, the Managers themselves helped the Matron-- for example, by mending the children's clothes during their board meetings. And when Elizabeth Dodds (the first orphan admitted to the orphanage) left to learn the dressmaking trade, the Managers presented her with $50 to help her on her way.
The Managers also decided which children to accept for admission to the orphanage. They investigated the habits and health of parents, whether living or dead. They thoroughly researched couples requesting to adopt children or take them for indenture, often checking references and asking neighbors about the applicant's character. Even after a child was sent for adoption or indenture, the Managers checked on the child once a year, ensuring that the child was receiving education, food, clothing and a generally appropriate upbringing. By 1867, new guardians had to sign a contract, specifying the terms of the indenture or adoption. Even when a parent returned to remove their own child from the orphanage, the Managers checked on the parent's financial situation and living accommodations to be sure that a child would be well-cared for. It was not unusual for children to be repeatedly admitted to the orphanage over the course of a few years.
The number of children living at the orphanage on Haight Street grew from a couple dozen to 300 in later years. The children were divided by age and gender and lived dormitory-style in large rooms. Reports indicate that the Hayes Valley neighbors enjoyed having the children in the area, and the orphans socialized with the local children. After the children began attending the public schools in the late 1890s, it was not unusual for the neighborhood children to play in the orphanage garden with their friends. At the home, the children were allowed to have small garden plots, to keep a dog or cat, or sometimes tend chickens and other animals at the orphanage. The older boys learned the Sloyd method of woodworking skills and the girls learned cooking and sewing. Children were expected to do their homework, do chores as assigned, and some children took drawing, dancing or music lessons. During the Spanish-American War, the boys became fascinated with military practices and formed their own marching regiment with uniforms. The girls did calisthenics and made articles of clothing for needy people. One year the girls made and dressed several dozen "Chinese" dolls and donated them to the Red Cross.
A diphtheria outbreak in 1902 necessitated a quarantine of the children for several months. Morale declined severely when the orphans were not allowed to see their school chums nor play with neighbor children. The Managers were very concerned about this and arranged a camping trip at Armstrong's Grove near Guerneville. They memorialized this summer outing as "Camp Alvord" when Mrs. Mary E. Alvord, then President of the Board of Managers, suddenly passed away. This was not the first time the children had been away from the City during the summer, but this "camp" was so successful that it was decided that the orphanage should make this an annual event. A bequest enabled the Managers to purchase land in Rancho EI Rio, near Alamo and Danville in Contra Costa County. The orphans attended "Camp Swain" (named for Ann T. Swain) from 1911 to 1946, when the property was sold. (Some of the original SFPOA camp structures are still standing on the land, which is now a park.)
In the Great Earthquake and Fire of 1906, devastation was everywhere. Orphanages were no exception. Everyone escaped the building unharmed. (Some records and ledgers that were kept at Managers' homes were lost in the Fire; but the orphanage itself, being west of Van Ness, was not destroyed, and that is why this collection exists.) The building was damaged but repaired by November. In the meantime, the children lived for a few weeks in the State Normal School, located on the southern half of the orphanage property, which had just been leased to the State of Califorma. Later, the children were sent to Petaluma, where they reportedly lived in the stables near Kenilworth Pavilion at the county fairgrounds.
In 1910, Mr. Ginn arranged a legacy to pay for boys to attend the Lick/Wilmerding vocational schools. Some fifty-five boys from SFPOA served in the military during World War I. The Managers tried to stay in touch with children who left the orphanage to make their way in the world. In poor economic times, they encouraged the former residents to return to the orphanage rather than suffer the embarrassment of bread lines, etc. Many alumni returned for Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday parties. Sometimes they had younger siblings who still lived at the orphanage and other times they were interested in mentoring or helping orphans themselves. By 1926, at least two former residents graduated from the local high school and went on to college--a boy to California College of Arts & Crafts and a girl to nursing school.
By 1919, the orphanage building on Haight Street was no longer habitable. The repairs done after the Earthquake and the age of the building were conspiring to make the children homeless until the Managers negotiated a deal to rent the Maria Kip Orphanage until SFPOA could build a new facility. The Kip home was located at 7th Ave and Lake Street, near the Presidio. The Kip children went to an affiliated home while SFPOA occupied their building. After much deliberation, the Managers decided to sell the Haight Street property and build a new orphanage elsewhere in San Francisco. The Haight property was sold to the State of California, which had been leasing it since 1905. None of the Managers could bring themselves to attend the razing of the old Orphanage building.
SFPOA ended up being in the Kip Orphanage for five years. It was a difficult time for the staff and administrators. The Kip home was much smaller and arranged differently, with a yard that did not allow for the gardens and play areas the children had had at the old home. Sloyd and sewing classes were halted for lack of space. The older children were allowed to go to thc YMCA and the YWCA for recreation. At this time they also started a Boy Scout Troop and a Girls' Friendly Society. There was a great deal of personnel turnover during these years, and the Managers were trying new procedures in managing the home, including having a Superintendent instead of a Matron. Many of the new procedures were due to the fact that the State of California, and the City and County of San Francisco began regulating social services agencies more heavily. Enormous amounts of documentation were required when applying for financial aid for any child, and SFPOA had 80-120 children in residence. Admissions often came from the San Francisco Juvenile Court. Reports and forms had to be completed and sent in regularly. Officials came to visit and inspect the orphanage and could withhold funds from agencies that were not adhering to new standards. The Managers also re-incorporated as the San Francisco Protestant Orphanage Society in 1920.
As the Managers explored available real estate, they also researched the styles and methods of other orphanages. They visited the Pacific Hebrew Orphanage in San Francisco and a dozen other institutions in California. In 1923, the Managers negotiated the purchase of a 10-acre property on Vicente Street in the Parkside District of San Francisco (the property abuts what is now Stern Grove). They also decided that instead of building another dormitory-style institution, they would adopt the cottage system for SFPOA, similar to that of the Pacific Hebrew Orphanage. The cottage system was intended to better simulate family life for children who were separated by choice or chance from their parents and other family members.
On the new campus, there were six cottages, an administration building and a laundry building. In 1951, a Recreation building would be added. Each cottage housed up to 20 children and a cottage mother. The rooms were big and airy. Each child had her or his own closet. There was a living room, kitchen and dining room in each cottage. The buildings were designed by Bliss & Faville, and constructed by Lindgren & Swinerton. John McLaren offered to move vegetation from the old orphanage site to the new campus. By the time the children moved into the new orphanage, the neighborhood was being settled. Streets had been graded, street lights installed, streetcar routes added to service that part of town, and some sidewalks had been installed. An oral history interview with a former resident revealed that the children actually walked to their new school on a boardwalk for a time.
Great care was taken in deciding how to divide the children into the cottages. Most of the time siblings were housed together, but it was to the orphanage's benefit to segregate the older boys into a cottage of their own. The children were allowed to visit any cottage and play with any other children, and there was some friendly competition between cottages. The children continued to spend their summers at Camp Swain.
The staff and teenagers of SFPOA noticed that some of the children were embarrassed about being called "orphans," either because of social stigma or because they did have parents--only about 6% of the children were actually orphans. For psychological benefit, the children of each cottage were invited to designate a name to replace the cottage's original number. Even seven decades later, the cottages are called Lane Hall, Dimond Cottage, Stow Hall, Halleck Hall, Pine Lodge, and Williams Cottage. As early as 1930, the children began calling their home "Edgewood," and in 1944 the name was officially changed. Sometimes the children referred to themselves as "P.O. kids."
At Edgewood, life for the children was very similar to regular family life. Each child was expected to perform chores according to his or her abilities, they could do extra work to earn pocket money, they had bicycles and pets, they played basketball and baseball in the park with the neighborhood children. Edgewood children went to school, did homework, participated in scouting activities, went to dances, hosted parties in the gymnasium, exchanged gifts and took photographs of each other. Camp Swain was "self-governing" in that the children elected a "mayor" to be in charge of planned activitics throughout the summer.
During the Depression, children stayed an average of 35 months at Edgewood. When other orphanages closed, some of those children were sent to Edgewood. Some children were admitted to Edgewood for the summer months only, so they never lived at the Vicente campus as the children were at Camp Swain for vacation.
In 1948, a group of women got together and founded the Edgewood Auxiliary. Volunteer fundraising and assistance groups had been started at least twice before, circa 1883 and 1923, but these women were determined to make a profound difference in the lives of Edgewood children. In the first ten years, the Auxiliary took the children to the Ice Follies, threw bridal showers for young Edgewood brides, bought a school bus to facilitate transportation to and from special events, hired a tutor for children who needed help with schoolwork, decorated the recreation room, funded birthday parties for the children, paid for hot lunches, gave gifts to those children graduating from high school, and purchased flashlights for the children to have at Camp Swain, a television set, an encyclopedia and sports equipment. The Auxiliary made sure that Edgewood celebrated its centennial in 1951 with a great deal of media attention. The Auxiliary hosted annual fundraising events such as the Garden Fair and the Crystal Ball.
In 1951, Edgewood officially changed from a child-care agency to a residential treatment program for emotionally-disturbed children, mostly teenagers. In 1964, the residential day treatment program was initiated, with a focus on younger children and their families. Edgewood programs continued to change and grow over the years. Other programs that Edgewood sponsored during this time were: the Edgewood Learning Center, an intensive assessment and treatment program for learning disabled children and adults;a day-treatment program, a fully-independent non-public school; the Primary Intervention Program in San Francisco public schools; a sub-acute unit that is a fully-accredited alternative to psychiatric hospitalization; a diagnostic shelter care program; Parents Helping Parents; Grandpatents Who Care; and Therapeutic Foster Care. For a time, Edgewood was open only to boys of a certain age (the age group changed several times), but was again coeducational by 1979. In 1980, the Lucinda Weeks Center merged with Edgewood. In 1998, Edgewood won the Mutual of America Community Partnership Award for its Kinship Support Network, which started in 1995. In 2001, Edgewood has three campuses: the original Vicente campus, the Kinship Support Network on Rhode Island Street near Pacific Bell Park, and the East Palo Alto campus.

Scope and Contents

The San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum (SFPOA) / Edgewood records contain listings of children admitted to and discharged; the minutes and annual reports created by the Board of Managers; photographs of children, staff, buildings, and events; and administrative records of the institution. Included are documents regarding all facets of management of an institution: personnel, taxes, construction and building repair, supply of foodstuffs and other goods, transportation of children and staff, entertainment, schooling, contact with parents and guardians, financial obligations, endowments, investments and legacies.
In 2001, Edgewood celebrated its sesquicentennial, and the institution maintains the records created since 1958. For privacy reasons, Edgewood has closed all files of children admitted to the institution and maintains them securely onsite. An index to a major portion of Edgewood's files is available for genealogical purposes, but interested parties would have to contact Edgewood for further information. Edgewood also has a small historical exhibit.
Also included in the collection are records of the San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children, San Francisco Female Hospital and San Francisco Foundling Home. Exact provenance of these items is unknown, but it is assumed that these homes sent their residents and records to SFPOA/Edgewood when they closed.

Arrangement

The collection is divided into two record groups: Record Group 1: San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum/Edgewood; and Record Group 2: San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children. Each record group is divided into series and subseries.

Subjects and Indexing Terms

San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children.
San Francisco Orphan Asylum.
San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum.
Adolescent psychotherapy -- Residential treatment -- California -- San Francisco.
Children -- Institutional care -- California -- San Francisco.
Orphanages -- California -- San Francisco.
San Francisco (Calif.)--Social conditions

 

Record Group 1 San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum / Edgewood 1851-1958

Physical Description: 8 cartons, 32 boxes, 12 flat boxes

Arrangement

Organized into seven series: Series 1: Board of Managers; Series 2: Records of Children; Series 3: General Administrative Files; Series 4: Finances; Series 5: Property and Maintenance; Series 6: Publications; and Series 7: Photographs.
 

Series 1 Board of Managers 1851-1957

Physical Description: 6 boxes, 3 folders

Arrangement

Arranged in three subseries: 1.1: Minutes; 1.2: Annual Reports; and 1.3: Miscellaneous Business Documents.
 

Subseries 1.1 Minutes 1851-1930

Physical Description: Document boxes 4-6 and doc box 7, Folders 1-7 (3 boxes, 7 folders)
Document-box 4, Folder 1

Constitution, By-Laws & Minutes of the Proceedings of the San Francisco Orphan Asylum Society (Liber A), 1851-1861

Document-box 4, Folder 2

Revised constitution, revised by-laws & minutes (Liber B), 1861-1867

Document-box 4, Folder 3

Revised constitution, revised by-laws & minutes (Liber C), 1867-1875

Document-box 4, Folder 4

Revised constitution, revised by-laws & minutes (Liber D), 1875-1882

Document-box 4, Folder 5

Revised constitution & minutes (Liber E), 1882-1889

Document-box 5, Folder 1

Minutes (Liber F), 1889-1894

Document-box 5, Folder 2

Minutes (Liber G), 1894-1898

Document-box 5, Folder 3

Minutes (Liber H), 1898-1902

Document-box 5, Folder 4

Minutes (Liber I), 1902-1905

Document-box 6, Folder 1

Minutes (Liber J), 1905-1907

Document-box 6, Folder 2

Minutes (Liber K), 1907-1910

Document-box 6, Folder 3

Minutes (Liber L), 1910-1915

Document-box 6, Folder 4

Minutes (Liber M), 1915-1918

Document-box 7, Folders 1-7

Minutes, (typewritten, from a post-bound notebook), 1919-1930

Document-box 1-2

Subseries 1.2 Annual reports 1851-1941

Physical Description: Document boxes 1 and 2 (2 boxes)
Document-box 1, Folder 1

Annual Reports, bound in 1 volume, 1851-1870

Document-box 1, Folder 2

Annual Reports, bound in 1 volume, 1871-1891

Document-box 1, Folder 3

Annual Reports, bound in 1 volume, 1892-1910

Document-box 1, Folder 4

3rd Annual Report, 1854

Document-box 1, Folder 5

9th Annual Report, 1860

Document-box 1, Folder 6

10th Annual Report, 1861

Document-box 1, Folder 7

14th Annual Report, 1865

Document-box 2, Folder 1

60th Annual Report, 1911

Document-box 2, Folder 2

61st Annual Report, 1912

Document-box 2, Folder 3

62nd Annual Report, 1913

Document-box 2, Folder 4

63rd Annual Report, 1914

Document-box 2, Folder 5

64th Annual Report, 1915

Document-box 2, Folder 6

65th Annual Report, 1916

Document-box 2, Folder 7

66th Annual Report, 1917

Document-box 2, Folder 8

67th Annual Report, 1918

Document-box 2, Folder 9

68th Annual Report, 1919

Document-box 2, Folder 10

69th Annual Report, 1920

Document-box 2, Folder 11

70th Annual Report, 1921

Document-box 2, Folder 12

71st Annual Report, 1922

Document-box 2, Folder 13

72nd Annual Report, 1923

Document-box 2, Folder 14

73rd Annual Report, 1924

Document-box 2, Folder 15

74th Annual Report, 1925

Document-box 2, Folder 16

75th Annual Report, 1926

Document-box 2, Folder 17

76th Annual Report, 1927

Document-box 2, Folder 18

77th Annual Report, 1928

Document-box 2, Folder 19

78th Annual Report, 1929

Document-box 2, Folder 20

79th Annual Report, 1930

Document-box 2, Folder 21

80th Annual Report, 1931

Document-box 2, Folder 22

Annual report drafts, 1930-1931

Document-box 2, Folder 23

81st Annual Report, 1932

Document-box 2, Folder 24

82nd Annual Report, 1933

Document-box 2, Folder 25

83rd & 84th Annual Reports, 1934-1935

Document-box 2, Folder 26

85th & 86th Annual Reports, 1935-1936

Document-box 2, Folder 27

87th & 88th Annual Reports, 1937-1938

Document-box 2, Folder 28

89th & 90th Annual Reports, 1939-1940

Document-box 2, Folder 29

Miss Stow's handwritten draft of the 90th Annual Report, 1941

Document-box 2, Folder 30

Miss Stow's typescript draft of the 90th Annual Report, 1941

 

Miscellaneous business documents Subseries 1.3 1860-1957

Physical Description: Document box 7 and Legal box 2, Folders 12-13 (1 box, 2 folders)
Document-box 7, Folder 8

Prayer book, ca. 1860

Document-box 7, Folder 9-10

List of fees, G.W. Haight, 1897-1898

Document-box 7, Folder 11

Opinion on status of Board of Trustees, 1898

Document-box 7, Folder 12

Board of Managers correspondence, 1919

Document-box 7, Folder 13

Articles of Incorporation, 1920

Document-box 7, Folder 14

Letter from Elizabeth Watt Campbell, 1921

Document-box 7, Folder 15

Resignation letter from Louise de Voe Brickell, 1925

Document-box 7, Folder 16

Resignation letter from Nellie Stow, 1934

Document-box 7, Folder 17

Promotional booklet, 1946

Document-box 7, Folder 18

Promotional brochure, 1948

Document-box 7, Folder 19

Auxiliary projects, 1948-1966

Document-box 7, Folder 20

Promotional brochure, ca. 1957

Document-box 7, Folder 21

Misc. notes by Miss Stow, undated

Document-box 7, Folder 22

Howard's Boston Houses, from The Argonaut, 1937

Document-box 7, Folder 23

Eugenics Made Plain, by Havelock Ellis, ca. 1910

Document-box 7, Folder 24

Rev. Albert Williams quotations re: Edgewood history, undated

Document-box 7, Folder 25

Quote from California, an Intimate History, by Gertrude Atherton, 1914

Document-box 7, Folder 26

Total population figures, 1851-1965

Legal-box 2, Folder 12

Articles of incorporation, by-laws, amendments, 1919-1942

Legal-box 2, Folder 13

G.W. Haight, Powers of a corporation, 1903

 

Series 2 Records of Children 1851-1957

Physical Description: 51 volumes, 3 boxes, 9 folders

Arrangement

Arranged in eight subseries: 2.1: Admissions and discharge records; 2.2: Indenture and adoption files; 2.3: Correspondence; 2.4: Baptisms; 2.5: Applications for children; 2.6: Matron's and Supervisor's reports; 2.7: City, State, and County documents; 2.8 Cecil Malmin Oral History.
 

Subseries 2.1 Admission and discharge records 1851-1957

Physical Description: 50 volumes in boxes, 1 box of files

Scope and Contents

Fifty record books containing handwritten information regarding admission and discharge of children. Most volumes contain a combination of admissions and discharges, while a few contain solely one or the other. Also included in this subseries are one additional folder of discharges and four folders of admissions and discharge reports.

Arrangement

Admission and discharge records are subdivided into Record Books and Files, each arranged chronologically.
 

Record books 1851-1957

Physical Description: 50 volumes
Box A, Volume 1

Account Book, 1851-1856

Volume 2

Register (of the Orphans), 1851-1878

Flat-box I, Volume 10

List of Children, 1858-1882

Box A, Volume 12

Register, 1863-1868

Box G, Volume 14

Minutes / Register, 1867-1881

Box B, Volume 15

Removal Record, 1867-1885

Box B, Volume 16

Register, 1869-1873

Flat-box L, Volume 18

List of Inmates, 1873-1902

Box B, Volume 19

Alphabetically Arranged List, 1878-1885

Box B, Volume 21

Record, 1878-1904

Box B, Volume 22

Record, 1879-1886

Box G, Volume 23

Register, 1879-1890

Flat-box R, Volume 24

Register, 1879-1896

Box B, Volume 25

Record, 1880-1895

Box G, Volume 26

Record, 1881-1904

Box G, Volume 27

Record, 1882-1884

Flat-box S, Volume 28

Register, 1897-1957

Box C, Volume 30

Record, 1886-1892

Flat-box J, Volume 31

Admissions, 1887-1893

Box C, Volume 32

Record, 1887-1891

Box G, Volume 33

Record, 1887-1901

Box G, Volume 35

Record, 1888-1897

Box C, Volume 36

Record of Discharge, 1888-1903

Flat-box O, Volume 37

Record of Children, 1890-1917

Box C, Volume 39

Admissions, 1890-1891

Box C, Volume 40

Record, 1892-1898

Flat-box S, Volume 41

Record, 1893-1896

Box C, Volume 42

Admissions, 1895-1899

Box D, Volume 43

Record, 1895-1903

Flat-box M, Volume 44

Matron's Record, 1896-1912

Box D, Volume 45

Record of Discharge, 1897-1903

Box G, Volume 46

Record, 1898-1905

Box D, Volume 47

Record, 1898-1905

Box D, Volume 49

Record, 1899-1918

Flat-box Q, Volume 50

Record of Orphans, 1899-1922

Box D, Volume 54

Record of Discharge, 1903-1906

Box E, Volume 56

Record of Admissions, 1904-1916

Flat-box P, Volume 57

Record of Inmates, 1904-1906

Box E, Volume 58

Record, 1905-1915

Flat-box P, Volume 59

Record of Orphans, 1906-1914

Box E, Volume 60

Record, 1906

Box E, Volume 61

Record of Discharge, 1906-1917

Box E, Volume 62

Record of Admissions, 1907-1910

Box E, Volume 63

Admissions, 1907-1913

Box F, Volume 64

Record of Discharges, 1907-1914

Flat-box Q, Volume 65

Record of Orphans, 1908-1913

Box F, Volume 66

Record of Discharge, 1908-1916

Box F, Volume 67

Record of Discharge, 1909-1918

Box H, Volume 70

Admissions, 1914-1929

Flat-box T, Volume 83

Records, 1929-1942

 

Files 1887-1904

Physical Description: Document box 8
 

Children discharged, 1890-1904

Physical Description: 4.0 folders
 

Admissions & discharge reports & receipts, 1887

Physical Description: 1.0 folder
 

Subseries 2.2 Indenture and adoption files 1867-1916

Physical Description: Legal box 3 Document box 9, Folders 5-9 (1 box, 5 folders)

Arrangement

Filed alphabetically by child's birth name.
 

Indenture files

Physical Description: Legal box 3 (88 items)
 

Batzer, William 1885

 

Batzer, Louisa A. 1886

 

Berg, Vivian Grace 1907

 

Biddle, Harry 1899

 

Blanchard, Annie 1912

 

Bosch, Florence 1912

 

Botting, Evan 1884

 

Brockman, Lillie 1905

 

Brown, Frank 1872

 

Bruns, Matilda 1888

 

Cadogan, Harry E. 1901

 

Casenore, Leonard 1899

 

Derrick, Anna 1871

 

Droast, John M. 1892

 

Ewing, Harry 1871

 

Fisher, Edwin 1906

 

Fitzgerald, Marion 1900

 

Flodberg, Samuel 1903

 

Fredericks, Emma 1892

 

Goeble, Frederick 1893

 

Gray, Nathan Willis 1884

 

Gross, Fred W. 1908

 

Gross, William C. 1907

 

Haines, Albert 1893

 

Haley, Elizabeth 1870

 

Hamburger, Lena 1909, 1910

 

Harold, George 1900

 

Hill, Annie Marie 1916

 

Iverson, Bertha 1905

 

Iverson, Dora 1899

 

Iverson, Minnie 1904

 

Johnson, Henry 1901

 

Johnson, Viola 1899

 

Joslin, Edith 1910

 

Joslin, Edna 1909

 

Keebler, Carrie 1891

 

Kelly, Agnes 1906

 

Kelly, Mary Ellen -- see Saunders, Elene

 

Koenicke, Henry 1905, 1908

 

Langdon, Josephine 1868

 

Larsen, Daisy A. 1891

 

Loeffler, Lulu 1896

 

Loring, Robert 1904

 

Lowe, Thomas 1868

 

Martinson, Arnie 1899

 

Martinson, Sophia 1893

 

Mclaughlin, James 1885

 

Miller, Anna 1870

 

Mitchel, Elisabeth 1878

 

Moeller, Claudine 1908

 

Mueller, Camilla 1887

 

Nelson, Alice 1902

 

Niendick, Clemens 1913

 

Niendick, Harry 1912

 

Niendick, Lillian 1907

 

Nolon, Dora 1878

 

Oetll, Frank 1887

 

Ott, Frank 1870

 

Paul, Maud

 

Peterson, Mary Winifred 1903

 

Peterson, Charles 1909

 

Peterson, Margaret 1905

 

Peterson, John 1909

 

Potts, Louisa 1905

 

Purcher, Nora 1904

 

Rankin, William L. 1900

 

Rick, Robert 1884

 

Roy, Augustine 1872

 

Rumsay, Edith 1884

 

Ruthven, Louisa 1907

 

Saunders, Elene 1896

 

Schenk, Clara 1905

 

Schenk, Lillian 1903

 

Schmidt, Maria 1871, 1872

 

Schwilks, William 1872, 1872

 

Semler, Thomas 1902

 

Shoebridge, Emma 1900

 

Shular, Mary 1888

 

Shurr, Elizabeth 1867

 

Smith, Edward 1888

 

Smith, William 1872

 

Stuck, August 1892

 

Ubhaus, Joseph 1899

 

Wilson, Ida 1909

 

Winters, Mary 1902

 

Woods, Nettie 1897

 

Zwaal, Annie E. 1907

 

Adoption files

Physical Description: Legal box 3 (21 items)
 

Adriance, Frank 1871

 

Adriance, Willie 1872

 

Aukele, Caroline 1884

 

Austin, Minnie Constine 1877

 

Crittenden, Maud 1887

 

Crocker, Thomas 1895

 

Derrick, Maggie 1870

 

Feeley, Mary

 

Findlay, Bertha 1894

 

Hunter, Laura A. 1872

 

Liebenberg, Henry 1894

 

Liebenberg, Mary 1894

 

Manly, Laura 1868

 

Metke, Dora 1884

 

Morhan, Mary 1871

 

Schure, John 1872

 

Stahl, Christian 1871

 

Stevenson, Emma 1885

 

Stevenson, Frank O. 1885

 

Swan, Henry G. 1871

 

Zimmerman, Matilda 1906

Document-box 9, Folders 5-9

Letters of inquiry for adoption and indenture 1927-1945

Physical Description: 5.0 folders
 

Subseries 2.3 Correspondence 1881-1915

Physical Description: 2.0 boxes Document boxes 10-11 (2 boxes)

Arrangement

Filed alphabetically by child's birth name.
 

Adams, Arthur & Rowland

 

Anderson, Maude

 

Ault, George

 

Bartells, Daisy

 

Beggo, Edward, James A. & Samuel C.

 

Berg, Hugo & Vivian Grace

 

Berkuer, Annie

 

Biddle, Harry

 

Bosworth, Harold

 

Bradley, Deldair

 

Bradley, Lawrence

 

Breeze, Elton

 

Brewer, Bertrand

 

Brown, Alfred

 

Caldwell, David

 

Campbell, William

 

Casenore, Theresa

 

Casenore, Victor

 

Cheffers, Alfred

 

Christianson, Christine

 

Church, Nelson

 

Clemens, Teresa

 

Clark, Claude

 

Cottrell, David & Delina

 

Crandall, Eugene Gilbert & Warren W.

 

Detels, Albert H. & Edward H.

 

Doleson, Gordon N.

 

Feltes, Donald

 

Fiest, Albert, Leroy & Louis H.

 

Findley, Bertha, Emma, Harry & Minnie

 

Fisher, Edwin

 

Fitzgerald, Gerald & Marion

 

Flodberg, Samuel

 

Forbes, Florence [Susie?]

 

Forbes, Sadie & Susie

 

Frederick, Conrad, Emma & Robert

 

Fullenback, Eva

 

Garratt, Arthur, Elsie, Grace & Walter

 

Gibson, John & Ripley

 

Goeble, Frederick

 

Goetz, Walter

 

Grange, Elizabeth & Walter

 

Green, Margaret

 

Haines, Albert B.

 

Hansen, Herbert

 

Helberg, Elizabeth

 

Hopwood, Nettie -- see Wood, Nettie

 

Houge, Elizabeth, Minna, Robert & William

 

Iverson, Bertha

 

Iverson, Frank & Minnie

 

Johnson, Frederick & Sarah

 

Johnson, Henry & Viola

 

Johnson, Nellie

 

Keebler, Johnnie & Oliver

 

Kelly, Mary Ellen -- see Sanders, Elene

 

Kempf, George & Margaretta

 

Kern, Edward

 

Kern, Abbie, George & Stella

 

Larsen, Daisy A.

 

Larson, Mamie A. [Minnie?] & Susie A.

 

Liebenberg, Harry & Mary [Mamie]

 

Loeffler, Carrie

 

Loeffler, Emma, George, Harry & Lulu -- see also Loeffler, Carrie

 

Loosli, Lizzie

 

Loring, Ruby

 

Luceo, Arthur

 

Lundberg, Violet

 

Mangels, Fritz & Wilhelm

 

Marr, Willie L.

 

Martenson, Sophia

 

Martin, Dorothy

 

Martinson, Arne

 

McDonald, Ernest

 

McDonald, John A. & Robert Lyle

 

Moore, Leslie

 

Mungari, Frank

 

Musgrove, Alma & Mabel

 

Nahhas, Philip

 

Nelson, Alice

 

Niendick, Lillie

 

Paul, Maud

 

Peterson, Annie & Mabel

 

Peterson, Charles A.

 

Peterson, Charles

 

Polio, Kenneth George

 

Popp, Claus, Frederick, Henry & Lizzie

 

Potts, Jessie, Louisa & Minnie

 

Pregg, Harry & Minnie -- see Findley

 

Presley, Bruce, Lee & Nellie

 

Purcher, Nora

 

Ruthven, Louise

 

Sanders, Elene

 

Scarborough, Clarance, Edith & Robert

 

Schmidt, Adela, Gideon & Lionel

 

Shackleton, George, John, Jonathan & William

 

Smith, Joseph, Percy & Walter

 

Stanton, James

 

Stamer, Harry

 

Steck, August

 

Stephens, Annie

 

Stevens, Lloyd, Rosie & Sadie

 

Stillman, Margaret & Raymond

 

Wightman, Alice Eliza

 

Willett, Angelina & Della

 

Williston, Cecil & Florence

 

Wilmot, Charles & Rose

 

Wood, Nettie

 

Zwaal, Charles J.

Box D, Volume 48

Subseries 2.4 Baptisms 1898-1946

Physical Description: 1.0 volume
Document-box 9, Folders 1-4

Subseries 2.5 Applications for children 1918-1921

Physical Description: 4.0 folders
Legal-box 1, Folders 2-4

Subseries 2.6 Matron's and Supervisor's reports 1918-1922

Physical Description:
Legal-box 1, Folders 5-23

Subseries 2.7 City, State, and County documents 1916-1943

Physical Description: 19.0 folders
Legal-box 1, Folder 5

Report of the Coordination Committee to the Council of Social and Health Agencies and to the Community Chest, 1925

Legal-box 1, Folder 6

Proof of publication: Notice of children admitted to SFPOA, 1919-1934

Legal-box 1, Folder 7

Board of Charities and Corrections: Standards for childrens' institutions and per capita costs by institution, 1919

Legal-box 1, Folders 8-10

State aid documents, 1916-1929

Physical Description: 3.0 folders
Legal-box 1, Folders 11-15

Reports and claims for State aid, 1917-1929

Physical Description: 5.0 folders
Legal-box 1, Folders 16

SFPO reports on payments from City & County of San Francisco, 1921-1934

Legal-box 1, Folders 17-22

Court documents, 1919-1934

Physical Description: 6.0 folders
Legal-box 1, Folder 23

County maintenance documentation, 1934-1943

Legal-box 1, Folder 24

Subseries 2.8 Cecil Malmin Oral History, Mar. 29, 2001

Physical Description: 1 CD-R disc

Scope and Contents

Interview with former resident (1924-1932) Mr. Cecil S. Malmin. Audio only; no transcription.
 

Series 3 General Administrative Files 1851-1951

Physical Description: 4 boxes, 18 folders

Arrangement

Arranged in three subseries: 3.1: Correspondence; 3.2: Business Documents; 3.3 Centennial 1951.
 

Subseries 3.1 Correspondence 1851-1951

Physical Description: Document boxes 12-14 and Doc box 15, Folders 1-3 (3 boxes, 3 folders)
Document-box 12, Folder 1

General correspondence, 1851-1879

Document-box 12, Folder 2

General correspondence, 1880-1899

Document-box 12, Folder 3

General correspondence, 1900-1909

Document-box 12, Folder 4

General correspondence, 1910-1916

Document-box 12, Folder 5

General correspondence, 1917

Document-box 12, Folders 6-12

General correspondence, 1918

Arrangement

Alphabetical by correspondent.
Document-box 13, Folders 1-9

General correspondence, 1919

Document-box 13, Folders 10-13

General correspondence, 1920

Document-box 14, Folder 1-4

General correspondence, 1921

Document-box 14, Folders 5-14

General correspondence, 1922-1931

Document-box 15, Folders 1-4

General correspondence, 1932-1935

Document-box 15, Folder 5

Letter from Eva Daniels, 1938

Document-box 15, Folder 6

Letters from former residents, 1950-1951

 

Subseries 3.2 Business documents 1916-1934

Physical Description: Document box 15, Folders 7-18 (12 folders)
 

Form for report for Children's Institutions, 1916-1927

 

Menu planning information from the State Board of Charities and Corrections, 1917

 

Eligibility for lamp purchase agreement from State Purchasing Department, 1918

 

Statement on corporal punishment from State Board of Charities and Corrections, 1918

 

"Milk for Children" from State Board of Health, 1918

 

Some suggestions re: obtaining County aid, 1919

 

Instructions and table showing rates for months and days (re: State aid), 1919

 

Monthy Census Bulletin from the State Board of Charities and Corrections, 1919

 

Rules relating to State aid from State Board of Examiners, ca. 1919

 

Visit reports from State Board of Control, 1920-1922

 

New rulings from the State Dept. of Finance, Bureau of Children's Aid, 1922

 

Children's Council, 1930-1934

 

Subseries 3.3 Centennial 1951

Physical Description: Document box 23, Folders 6-23 (18 folders)
 

City-County Record (reprint), 1951

 

For Herb Caen, 1950

 

A compilation of earlier reports of history, 1950

 

Press releases, 1950-1951

 

Press release and invitation to Edgewood Christmas play, 1950

 

Notes and timeline from historical records, 1851-1951 1951?

 

Centennial press correspondence and Home Tour information, 1950-1951

 

Edgewood Centennial Program scripts (KCBS), 1951

 

Centennial guests and gifts, 1951

 

Press invitation, 1951

 

Centennial press packet, 1951

 

Centennial program draft and mock-up, 1951

 

Master copies [mimeograph] of background information, 1951

 

Salute to Edgewood script (KNBC), 1951

 

Press release: Mrs. Bartlett's remarks to Council of Executives of Child Care Institutions, ca. 1951

 

Press release: Auxiliary increase, 1951

 

Centennial invitation, 1951

 

Fortnight, January 22, 1951

 

Series 4 Finances 1851-1959

Physical Description: 36 volumes, 5 boxes, 12 folders

Arrangement

Subdivided by physical type into Files and Record Books. Files are arranged chronologically within each box; Record Books are arranged chronologically by volume.
 

Record books 1851-1951

Physical Description: Various volume numbers (36 volumes)
Box A, Volume 1

Account Book, 1851-1856

Box A, Volume 3

Notebook, 1852

Box A, Volume 4

Cash, 1852-1853

Box A, Volume 5

Cash, 1853

Box A, Volume 6

Account Book, 1853-1854

Box A, Volume 7

Cash, 1853-1854

Box A, Volume 8

Treasurer's Book, 1854-1858

Box A, Volume 9

Donations, 1854

Box G, Volume 11

Treasurer's Book, 1861-1869

Box B, Volume 13

Donations, 1863-1871

Box G, Volume 17

Treasurer's Book, 1869-1878

Box G, Volume 20

Treasurer's Book, 1878-1888

Box C, Volume 29

Record of Bequests, 1885-1976

Flat-box J, Volume 34

Treasurer's Book, 1888-1894

Flat-box K, Volume 38

Treasurer's Book, 1894-1899

Box G, Volume 51

Cash, 1899-1904

Box G, Volume 52

Ledger, 1899-1917

Box G, Volume 53

Record, 1902-1928

Box H, Volume 55

Cash, 1904-1910

Box H, Volume 68

Cash, 1910-1917

Box H, Volume 69

Building Fund Book, 1911-1917

Box F, Volume 71

Articles Donated, 1916-1923

Box H, Volume 72

Cash, 1917-1918

Flat-box Q, Volume 73

Cash, 1918-1921

Box H, Volume 74

Ledger, 1918-1924

Box H, Volume 75

Journal, 1918-1932

Flat-box M, Volume 76

Cash, 1921-1925

Flat-box P, Volume 77

Chart of Accounts, 1924-1931

Box F, Volume 78

Donations, 1924-1930

Box F, Volume 79

Things to Remember, 1924

Flat-box L, Volume 80

Cash, 1926-1929

Flat-box I, Volume 81

Cash for Maintenance of Children, 1928-1948

Box M, Volume 82

Cash, 1929-1932

Flat-box T, Volume 84

Receipts and Disbursements, 1930-1946

Box H, Volume 85

Journal, 1933-1951

Flat-box N, Volume 86

Journal, 1933-1935

Box F, Volume 87

Donations, 1936-1937

 

Files 1852-1959

Physical Description: Document boxes 16-19 Legal box 2, Folders 1-11 and 32 Legal box 4 (5 boxes, 12 folders)
Document-box 16, Folder 1

Contributions from Bowen Bros. Grocers, ca. 1860

Document-box 16, Folders 2-5

Legacies, gifts & investments, 1879-1915

Physical Description: 4.0 folders
Document-box 16, Folders 6-8

Investments, 1931-1944

Physical Description: 3.0 folders
Document-box 16, Folder 9

Committee on the Modification of the Federal Legacy Tax, ca. 1900

Document-box 16, Folder 10

Metropolis Trust & Savings bank, 1908

Document-box 16, Folder 11

List of legacies left to SFPOA, 1852-1903

Document-box 16, Folder 12

Notes on investments and legacies, 1870-1898

Document-box 16, Folder 13

Cancelled cheques drawn on investments, 1877-1896

Document-box 16, Folder 14

Relating to Christmas donations, 1881

Document-box 16, Folder 15

In regard to the purchase of bonds, 1900-1903

Document-box 16, Folder 16

Summary of Building Fund account, 1918

Document-box 16, Folder 17

Estates of Glazier, Leiding, Riordan, Scott, Stanford, Van Reed, Wiley, undated

Document-box 16, Folder 18

Cash donations for new orphanage, gifts for new orphanage, 1924

Document-box 16, Folder 19

Legacies received, 1937-1959

Document-box 16, Folder 20

Donations as given to the Board of Managers, 1939-1943

Document-box 16, Folder 21

Newspaper clippings regarding legacies, undated

Legal-box 2, Folder 1

Probate business, 1859-1878

Legal-box 2, Folder 2

Correspondence and information on legacies, 1870-1910

Legal-box 2, Folder 3

Search of records of City & County of San Francisco showing bequests, 1885-1894

Legal-box 2, Folder 4

Investments for the Building Fund, 1898-1917

Legal-box 2, Folder 5

Lease Agreement with State Normal School, 1906

Legal-box 2, Folder 6

Notes re: Swain estate, 1908

Legal-box 2, Folder 7

Copy of Court Proceedings in the Matter of the Sale to the State of California of two 50-vara lots in Waller and Hermann Streets, 1911

Legal-box 2, Folder 8

List of securities of the SFPOA Society [Building Fund], 1918

Legal-box 2, Folder 9

Building Fund deposit and credit slips, 1924-1929

Legal-box 2, Folder 10

Breon Estate, 1930

Legal-box 2, Folder 11

Investment securities of the Oroville-Wyandotte Irrigation District, 1932

Legal-box 4, Folders 1-3

Monthly population reports, 1919-1933

Physical Description: 3.0 folders
Legal-box 4, Folders 4-5

Population & payroll, 1934-1944

Physical Description: 2.0 folders
Legal-box 4, Folders 6-29

Treasurer's reports, 1918-1949

Physical Description: 24.0 folders
Legal-box 4, Folders 30-33

Auditor's reports, 1917-1948

Physical Description: 4.0 folders
Document-box 17, Folders 1-2

Requisitions, 1918-1926

Physical Description: 2.0 folders
Document-box 17, Folder 3

Cancelled cheques for taxes, 1877-1896

Document-box 17, Folders 4-8

Tax bills, 1898-1946

Physical Description: 5.0 folders
Document-box 17, Folder 9

Documents re: purchase of 1 Ford Model T, 1920

Document-box 17, Folders 10-12

Insurance, 1922-1930

Physical Description: 3.0 folders
Document-box 18, Folders 1-4

Insurance, 1931-1939

Physical Description: 4.0 folders
Document-box 18, Folders 5-10

Balance sheets, 1947-1952

Physical Description: 6.0 folders
Document-box 19, Folders 1-5

Balance sheets, 1953-1958

Physical Description: 5.0 folders
Document-box 19, Folders 6-10

Bank statements, 1949-1958

Physical Description: 5.0 folders
Legal-box 2, Folder 32

Insurance, 1949-1951

 

Series 5 Property and Maintenance 1855-1946

Physical Description: 4 boxes, 15 folders

Arrangement

Arranged in three subseries: 5.1: Haight Street Building; 5.2: Vicente Campus; and 5.3: Camp Swain.
 

Subseries 5.1 Haight Street building 1855-[1918]

Physical Description: Document box 20, Folders 1-15; Legal box 2, Folders 13-15 (18 folders)

Arrangement

asd
Document-box 20, Folder 1

Construction & repair estimates & agreements, 1855-1913

Document-box 20, Folder 2

Bills for building [Sansome] wing, 1859-1860

Document-box 20, Folder 3

Bills for digging well, 1859-1860

Document-box 20, Folder 4

Facilities improvements, 1880-1896

Document-box 20, Folder 5

Cancelled cheques for repairs, 1882-1896

Document-box 20, Folder 6

Laundry building, 1896-1910

Document-box 20, Folder 7

Grading & paving Laguna Street (corr. w/ attorney Haight), 1904

Document-box 20, Folder 8

Sewer contract, 1904

Document-box 20, Folder 9

Lease agreement with State Normal School, 1905

Document-box 20, Folder 10

Resolution re: lease to State Normal School, 1906

Document-box 20, Folder 11

Corr. re: State Normal School, 1906-1907

Document-box 20, Drawer 12

Corr. re: sale of Jones Street lot, 1907-1908

Document-box 20, Folder 13

Notes re: Boys' Savings Account, 1911-1914

Document-box 20, Folder 14

Architectural report on orphanage building, 1913

Document-box 20, Folder 15

"Mayor" and "Councilmen" position descriptions, ca. 1918

Legal-box 2, Folder 13

Specifications for buttresses, ca. 1860

Legal-box 2, Folder 14

Bills & vouchers for alterations and additions to SFPOA building (Clevland & Swain), 1882-1883

Legal-box 2, Folder 15

Contract and plans for boiler, 1913

 

Subseries 5.2 Vicente Campus 1922-1930

Physical Description: Document box 20 Folders 16-34; Document box 21; Legal box 2 Folders 17-27 (1 box and 30 folders)
Document-box 20, Folder 16

Trocadero Valley property offer, 1922

Document-box 20, Folder 17

Crocker Amazon property offer, 1922

Document-box 20, Folder 18

Assessed and estimated values of lots considered for purchase, ca. 1922

Document-box 20, Folder 19

Sunset district (San Francisco) maps and notes, ca. 1922

Document-box 20, Folder 20

Corr. re: property near Laguna Honda tunnel station, 1922

Document-box 20, Folder 21

Detailed cost of the SFPOA, 1922-1926

Document-box 20, Folder 22

Building Zone Ordinance (San Francisco), ca. 1922

Document-box 20, Folder 23

Parkside Realty Co., 1922-1923

Document-box 20, Folder 24

Bliss & Faville, 1923-1930

Document-box 20, Folder 25

Spring Valley Water Co., 1923-1924

Document-box 20, Folder 26

Pacific Gas & Electric, 1924

Document-box 20, Folder 27

West Coast Fire Extinguisher Co., 1924

Document-box 20, Folder 28

DN&E Walter & Co., 1924

Document-box 20, Folder 29

General Sales Corp., 1924-1926

Document-box 20, Folder 30

C.A. Ericsson estimate for tree planting, ca. 1924

Document-box 20, Folder 31

Criticisms and responses re: building plans, ca. 1924

Document-box 20, Folder 32

William McCann notes re: furnishings, 1924-1925

Document-box 20, Folder 33

A. Quandt & Sons, 1924-1930

Document-box 20, Folder 34

American Laundry Machinery Co., 1924-1925

Document-box 21, Folder 1

Standard Fence Co., 1924-1925

Document-box 21, Folder 2

Construction estimates, bills and corr., 1924-1928

Document-box 21, Folder 3

List of the contents of the box placed in the tablet stone... [time capsule], 1924

Document-box 21, Folder 4

Fay Improvement Co., 1925

Document-box 21, Folder 5

Building Fund statements of account, 1925

Document-box 21, Folder 6

Receipts for goods & services, 1923-1938

Physical Description: 6.0 folders
Document-box 21, Folder 7

Cyril Williams, Jr., 1924

Document-box 21, Folder 8

City & County of San Francisco, 1924

Document-box 21, Folder 9

Thomas Day Co., 1924

Document-box 21, Folder 10

Cement work and invoices, 1925

Document-box 21, Folder 11

Gladding, McBean & Co., 1924

Document-box 21, Folder 12

Job descriptions: Matron, Superintendent, Clerk, 1928

Document-box 21, Folder 13

American Trust Roos Fund (used for campus improvement), 1929-1937

Document-box 21, Folder 14

Significance of cottage names, 1930

Legal-box 2, Folder 17

Agreement to purchase Parkside property, 1922

Legal-box 2, Folder 18

Bitumen contract, 1922

Legal-box 2, Folder 19

General specifications of work to be done in the erection and completion of eight buildings (Bliss & Faville, architects), 1923

Legal-box 2, Folder 20

Nathan-Dohrmann Co., 1924

Legal-box 2, Folder 21

Thomas Day Co., 1924

Legal-box 2, Folder 22

Specifications for painting work, 1924

Legal-box 2, Folder 23

Specifications for well, 1924

Legal-box 2, Folder 24

Lindgren & Swinerton contracts, 1924

Legal-box 2, Folder 25

Payroll for construction labor, 1924

Legal-box 2, Folder 27

Lindgren & Swinerton receipts & invoices, 1924

Physical Description: 5.0 folders
Legal-box 2, Folder 27

MacRorie-McLaren Co., 1924-1925

 

Subseries 5.3 Camp Swain 1913-1946

Physical Description: Document box 22; Document box 23, Folders 1-5; Legal box 2 Folder 16 (1 box, 6 folders)
Document-box 22, Folder 1

Notes re: purchase of property at Rancho El Rio [Camp Swain], 1914-1921

Document-box 22, Folder 2

Directions for reaching Camp Swain, undated

Document-box 22, Folder 3

Swimming pool, 1936-1939

Document-box 22, Folder 4

The story of the swimming pool, 1936

Document-box 22, Folder 5

Improvements, 1937-1942

Document-box 22, Folder 6

Records re: Camp Swain, including hiring staff, travel, food, raods, health, 1929-1941

Physical Description: 6.0 folders
Legal-box 2, Folder 16

Contract for construction of Camp Swain (Bliss & Faville), 1913

Document-box 23, Folder 1

Records re: Camp Swain, including hiring staff, travel, food, raods, health, 1942-1946

Physical Description: 5.0 folders
 

Series 6 Publications 1875-1941

Physical Description: Document box 2, Folders 31-37 (7.0 folders)

Scope and Contents

Miscellaneous copies of rules and regulations (1875-1905) and other publications about San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum.
 

Rules and Regulations, 1875

 

Rules and Regulations, 1880

 

Etchings from The Tower of Strength in the City's Building, 1941

 

Rules and Regulations, 1905

 

Some Reminisces of the San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum, 1900

 

The Story of the San Francisco Protestant Orphanage, 1924

 

The Tower of Strength in the City's Building, 1941

 

Series 7 Photographs 185?-1959

Physical Description: Document boxes 24-25; Volumes 88-89 (2 boxes of prints, two albums, misc. oversize items in box)

Publication Rights

Copyright for some photographs is held by Gabriel Moulin or other studios and photographers.

Scope and Contents

Images of children, staff, buildings, activities and events, late 1800s to 1950s.
At least two photos from San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children are included.

Arrangement

Subdivided by physical type into Files and Albums. Files are arranged roughly chronologically within each box.
 

Adults (parents?), pre-1900

Scope and Contents

7 cartes de visite, incl. J. H. Sperling, Caroline Frey, Reinhold Frey, Eddie Bruce's mother.
 

Portraits of young ladies, undated [early 1900's]

General note

Bound volume

Scope and Contents

Signed Marjorie, Elizabeth Dacher, Harriet Walsh, Betty Barioll, Mad Benedict, Kathryn, Barbara, Mary, Adeline E. Howard, Eleanor P. Sell, Miriam Beaver, Amy Long, Amy Requa.
 

Children, Pre-1924

Scope and Contents

Includes cabinet cards (group of six unidentified children, baby portrait) and photographs (group of children and car in front of Haight St. building, classroom of young children, boys in military uniforms ca. Spanish American War, boys in Sloyd class, girls in sewing class, girls and boys exercising). Includes some copy prints.
 

Panorama of children in Petaluma after the Great San Francisco Earthquake, 1906

 

Children, 1922-1929

Scope and Contents

Incl. indoor shots of boys and girls playing, outdoor shots of children playing, 1922 panorama of Business League Picnic and Kiddies Outing. Includes some copy prints.
 

Children, ca. 1924-1959

Scope and Contents

Identified persons incl. Charles Boser, Miss Marden, Mrs. Wayne.
 

Camp Swain, 1927

Scope and Contents

Pages and photographs separated, but identified persons incl. Mr. C. W. Mark.
 

Children, 1930-1939

Scope and Contents

Incl. 1937 portrait of Cottage 3 (all children and adults identified).
 

Camp Swain, 1936

Scope and Contents

Removed from a scrapbook. Incl. track results from 4th of July races. Identified persons: Eddie Burch (?), Gerald Topper, Marlon Newton, Howard Keenan, Doug Lariolette, Billie Metcalf, Arthur Vaughan, Esther Glunt, Lillian Glunt, Dorothy McGhee, Keitha Bailard, Dolores LaRose, Elinor Lewohl, Lucile Burchell, Mary Hansen.
 

Camp Swain, 1943

Scope and Contents

Photo of dedication stone, buildings and identified persons: Mrs. Howard Naffziger, Mr. Kuser, Mrs. Leroy Briggs, Mrs. Clarence Oddie, Mrs. Rulofson.
 

Children, 1940-1949

Scope and Contents

Identified persons include: Mrs. Roth, Mr. Runyan, Mrs. Towne, Bill Kuser, Alex Sherriff, Melvin Philbrick. Scenes are of Camp Swain, Searsville Lake and SFPOA/Edgewood. VERY POOR CONDITION.
 

Christmas, 1940s-1950s

Scope and Contents

Images from U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, Union Label (A.F. of L.) parties.
 

Children, 1950-1959

Scope and Contents

Includes images of District Attorney Pat Brown, Byron Owen, Mr. & Mrs. Fred Levy, Melvin Philbrick, Parkside School Room 5 (1955), Jerry Wills.
 

Edgewood Campus, 1930s

Scope and Contents

Images of Edgewood campus taken by Gabriel Moulin.
 

Haight Street building(s), ca. 1854-1900

Scope and Contents

Images of old orphanage building in Haight between Laguna and Buchanan. Etching of building as it was in 1854, photos & drawing of building after addition of Sansome wing in 1863.
 

Edgewood buildings, 1923-1951

Scope and Contents

Includes images of construction (1923-1924), dedication plaques and completed buildings (1924-1951).
 

San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children, ca. 1910?

Scope and Contents

Two images. Newspaper clipping mounted on cardboard -- photo of group of children. Photograph mounted -- image of building at 14th Ave. and Lake St.
 

Desk shots, undated

Scope and Contents

Staged images of the SFPOA registers, fountain pen and roll-top desk.
 

Staff, Board members and volunteers, undated

Scope and Contents

Identified: Mrs. Cunningham (?), Mrs. Dean Witter, Mrs. Roth, Mr. Atholl McBean, Melvin Philbrick, Miss Nellie Stow, Mrs. Waldo Coleman, Mrs. Henry Wright.
 

Staff, Board members and volunteers (unidentified), undated

Scope and Contents

Cabinet cards and photographs of adults.
 

Auxiliary, 1948

Scope and Contents

Includes photos of Mrs. Alan McLenegan, Mrs. John Bosche, Mrs. Edmund MacDonald, Mrs. Lawrence Bowes, Mrs. Philip Boone, Mrs. Granger F. Kenly, Mrs. Thayer Hopkins.
 

Poster, ca. 1947-1949

Scope and Contents

Includes images of a cowgirl actress visiting with groups of Edgewood girls, a cowboy actor visiting with Edgewood children, Camp Meeker and a roller skating party panorama.

Custodial History note

Someone created an historical display of photographs of Edgewood events. Images were mounted on several posters and were identified with a number written on a bright orange sticker. The key to these images is not available. The posters have been disassembled, but the photos remain grouped and identified as much as possible. Some of these photos may not be Edgewood-related.
 

Christmas 1 poster, undated

Scope and Contents

Images of Marine Corps Christmas parties, Optimist basketball team, talent shows.
 

Christmas 2 poster, ca. 1946-1948

Scope and Contents

Marine Corps parties (incl. Gen A Creesy), talent shows, all day picnic with Marin Town & Country Club, and San Francisco Lumberman's Club party at the Palace Hotel.
 

Christmas 3 poster, ca. 1946-1948

Scope and Contents

Includes images of Halloween, drawing, science classes, birthday party, boys visit to HMNZS Royalist, opening the Blum's store at the Fairmont Hotel with Mrs. Fred Levy, and in kitchen with cook.
Box U, Volume 88

Album, ca. 1951

Scope and Contents

Boys' outing(s) to the beach.
Box U, Volume 89

Album, ca. 1951

Scope and Contents

Recreation at Edgewood and around SF. VERY POOR CONDITION -- photos not correctly developed.
 

Record Group 2 San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children 1895-1932

Physical Description: 1 box, 1 folder

Arrangement

Organized into three series: Series 1: Annual Reports; Series 2: Adoption Papers; and Series 3: Ephemera.

Biographical/Historical note

The San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children (SFNHC) was founded in 1892 as "a non-sectarian home for children whose parents, either by neglect, ill-fortune, or unfitness, could not give them proper care and protection" and the institution continued until at least 1932. Both boys and girls were admitted. SFNHC was originally incorporated as the San Francisco Female Hospital in 1878 and also incorporated a Foundling Home that was founded in 1887. SFNHC's stated purpose in 1900 was to be a home for children under the age of 12. In 1932 the ages of children allowed was "4 years 3 months to 16 years." The first location of SFNHC was at First St. and Bryant. They moved to Second St. and Harrison for a time, and then to 14th St. and Mission. In 1904, SFNHC moved from its home on Mission St. to a new builcling near 14th Ave. and Lake St. This new building was practically destroyed in the 1906 earthquake, and the children lived in tents for two weeks before being sent to an affiliated home in Sacramento. SFNHC rebuilt the building at 14th Ave and Lake St. By 1911, SFNHC had begun a successful series of annual pencil sales as a fundraiser. Records in this collection include a letter from Al Jolson. The children were treated to movies, gardening, open air shop classes, piano lessons, sewing lessons, folk dancing lessons, various circuses, the beach, the Chutes and the Pan-Pacific International Exposition. In 1915, the SFNHC children attended a Christmas play put on by Bruce Porter and the SFPOA children at the Haight St. orphanage. The SFNHC children attended public school (primarily Sutro Elementary). In 1921, the SFNHC children began going to the "country" for the summer. By 1932 SFNHC had purchased the Love Creek summer camp in Ben Lomond, California. When possible, parents were expected to pay something toward room and board, but State and County Aid was sometimes available as well. SFNHC was a member of the San Francisco Community Chest.
 

Series 1 Annual reports 1900-1932

Physical Description: Document box 3, Folders 1-19 (19 folders)

Arrangement

Arranged chronologically.
 

11th Annual Report, 1900

 

13th Annual Report, 1902

 

14th Annual Report, 1903

 

15th Annual Report, 1904

 

16th Annual Report, 1905

 

17th Annual Report, 1906

 

18th Annual Report, 1908

 

19th Annual Report, 1908

 

20th Annual Report, 1909

 

21st Annual Report, 1910

 

22nd Annual Report, 1911

 

23rd Annual Report, 1912

 

24th Annual Report, 1913

 

25th Annual Report, 1914

 

26th Annual Report, 1915

 

27th Annual Report, 1916

 

28th Annual Report, 1917

 

29th Annual Report, 1918-1919

 

Report, July 1919 - February 1922

Document-box 3, Folder 20

Series 2 Adoption papers 1895-1901

Physical Description: 1 folder
 

Series 3 Ephemera 1910-1932

Physical Description: Document box 3, Folders 21-22 and Legal box 1, Folder 1 (3 folders)
Document-box 3, Folder 21

Published admission notice, 1910

Legal-box 1, Folder 1

Publicity for pencil sale, 1919-1922

Document-box 3, Folder 22

Promotional brochure, 1932