The Paul R. Hunter papers span 5 linear feet and date from circa 1906 to circa 1970. The collection contains the work of Paul
R. Hunter’s independent firm as well as the work of Hunter and Reichardt, Architects, and Hunter and Benedict, Architects.
The majority of the collection consists of records relating to Hunter’s involvement in the American Institute of Architects
as well as public relations materials for the firm Hunter and Benedict (1957-1966). Materials relating to the work of Hunter
and Benedict take the form of informational brochures, spiral-bound books containing interior and exterior photographs of
their more notable projects, newspaper and magazine clippings, and Hunter’s and Benedict’s resumes. The collection also includes
architectural drawings and reprographic copies of Hunter’s Los Angeles based projects, across the different firms he had been
Paul R. Hunter was born on June 29, 1906 in Illinois. When he was 13 years of age, his family relocated to California. He
attended the University of California, Los Angeles where he received his Junior Certificate in Architecture in 1926, followed
by his Bachelor’s degree in Architecture from University of Pennsylvania in 1931. From 1931 to 1936, Hunter worked as a draftsman
for the architectural firm of Hunt and Chambers. In 1936, Paul R. Hunter went to work for Roland E. Coate as a designer, until
1939 when he joined forces with Reichardt. Hunter and Reichardt were partners until 1941, when their firm dissolved. From
1941, Hunter operated his own firm until 1957, when he became partners with Walter Gregory Benedict. The two had their own
firm until it dissolved in 1966, after which Hunter continued to practice independently. Hunter’s more notable projects include:
the Horticulture Research buildings at the University of California, Los Angeles, the Christian Science Church in Anaheim,
and the Children’s Home Society Nursery. Paul Robinson Hunter died on September 14, 1988, at the age of 82.