Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Huntington, Hopkins & Company Hardware Store Collection
MS 78  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (52.65 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Biography/Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms
  • Additional collection guides

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Huntington, Hopkins & Company Hardware Store Collection
    Dates: 1868-1888
    Collection Number: MS 78
    Creator/Collector: Huntington, Collis P. Hopkins, Mark
    Extent: 1 box + 2 half-boxes
    Repository: California State Railroad Museum Library
    Sacramento, California 95814
    Abstract: Includes 2 folders of business records of the Huntington, Hopkins & Company Hardware Store Collection and two catalogues.
    Language of Material: English

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

    Preferred Citation

    Huntington, Hopkins & Company Hardware Store Collection. California State Railroad Museum Library

    Acquisition Information

    Gifts by various donors. Catalogue a gift of Peter W. White, 1997.

    Biography/Administrative History

    In 1855, Collis P. Huntington and Mark Hopkins formed a partnership and opened a hardware store. The original Huntington-Hopkins Hardware store was located at 54 K St., and later re-numbered in 1880 to 220-222 K Street. The affairs of the Central Pacific Railroad also caused both Huntington and Hopkins to relinquish active participation in the hardware business. In 1868 the firm was reorganized with four new partners under the name of Huntington, Hopkins & Company, the names that remained until the firm was dissolved in 1891. The store was demolished and reconstructed at this site in 1970 as a result of the construction of the Interstate 5 Freeway. The building has been remodeled after the 1861-1877 exterior appearance of the store.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    This collection is arranged in two series: 1 MISCELLANEOUS DOCUMENTS / 2 CATALOGUES

    Additional collection guides