Includes 2 folders of business records of the Huntington, Hopkins & Company Hardware Store Collection and two catalogues.
In 1855, Collis P. Huntington and Mark Hopkins formed a partnership and opened a hardware store. The original Huntington-Hopkins
Hardware store was located at 54 K
St., and later re-numbered in 1880 to 220-222 K Street. The affairs of the Central Pacific Railroad also caused both Huntington
and Hopkins to relinquish active participation in the hardware
In 1868 the firm was reorganized with four new partners under the name of Huntington, Hopkins & Company, the names that remained
until the firm was dissolved in 1891.
The store was demolished and reconstructed at this site in 1970 as a result of the construction of the Interstate 5 Freeway.
The building has been remodeled after the 1861-1877 exterior appearance of the store.
1 box + 2 half-boxes
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from
manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of
the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.
Collection is open for research.