Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Live Oak School (Lodi, Calif.) Records
Ms84  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.80 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Historical Sketch
  • Scope and Content
  • Access Points

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Live Oak School (Lodi, Calif.) Records
    Date: 1919-1956
    Collection Number: Ms84
    Location: Erickson Vault
    Extent: 5 linear feet
    Contributing Institution: San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum
    11793 North Micke Grove Road
    Lodi, CA 95240
    Language of Material: Records written in English
    Abstract: The Live Oak School Records include annual reports issued by administrators and teachers, as well as registers that list students by grade level, how often they attended and were ill, and their grades. The registers in the collection also elaborate policies and guidelines issued by the State of California for the conduct of teachers, students, and district administrators.

    Access Information

    Collection is open for research by appointment.

    Conditions of Use

    The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary property.
    Preferred citation: [Item name], Live Oak School Records, San Joaquin County, Collection, Ms84, San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum, Lodi, California.

    Related Material

    Title: Ray and Turner Schools (Lodi, Calif.) Registers,
    Date (inclusive): 1910-1998 (Ms83)
    Title: Salem-Needham School (Lodi, Calif.) Scrapbooks,
    Date (inclusive): 1935-1939 (Ms21)
    Title: San Joaquin County (Calif.) Schools Collection,
    Date (inclusive): 1866-1973 (Ms41)
    Title: San Joaquin Valley College (Woodbridge, Calif.) Collection,
    Date (inclusive): 1884-1977 (Ms40)

    Historical Sketch

    Live Oak School district officially came into existence on February 9, 1864. At that time, the school was located west of Cherokee Lane, in Lodi. Reports from that period suggest that the schoolhouse had only one room, in which a single teacher watched over approximately fifty students. The district expanded in size and the number of students under its jurisdiction over the next eighty years. In 1949, it opened the doors of a newly constructed schoolhouse on Wyandotte Road (later, Bear Creek Road) that boasted 14,600 square feet. Over the next twenty years, the number of students who attended Live Oak School continued to grow, and in 1967 it was absorbed into the Lodi Unified School District. Live Oak School closed its doors for the last time in the summer of 2011.

    Scope and Content

    The Live Oak School Records consist of administrative reports and registers supplied by the State of California. They were maintained by teachers, who used them mainly to keep track of students' attendance, grades, and illness. The volumes also include "daily programs of recitations" for teaching multiple grades within the same classroom, rules of conduct for teachers and students, and policies that teachers and school districts were expected to follow.

    Access Points

    Subjects

    Elementary schools--California--San Joaquin County--History
    Lodi (Calif.)--History
    San Joaquin County (Calif.)--History
    San Joaquin County--Schools